Danios Babies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vaquero

Aquarium Advice Freak
Today I was going to do a water change in my 55, and happened to look at the top of the 10 gallon tank and saw a oily type looking film on the water. I took off the lid and kinda swirled a finger in it to break up the surface and let it go into the water. To my surprise I have well over 300 Giant Danios fry swimming around. I read Danios hatch in about 36 hours, and are free swimming in 5 days. I never really looked into the tank after removing the adults (last Thursday afternoon). I have read many articles on breeding them, and I have done none of that at all. How can they spawn like this. I quickly put in some crushed flakes for them to eat since I have no idea when they hatched. Is this normal???? What should I feed them, I would like them to survive if possible. I did put a pantyhose over the filter opening (thanks Zach) so as not to suck any of the fry into it(some may have already perished this way) and I also read to just turn the filter off. Should I??? I think this is so cool but don't know a thing about raising fry. Please any advice to how to care for/raise these would be very helpful. I don't expect them all to survive, but some would be cool.

First off congrats.

They should do fine on crunched food or you could go but first bites if you wish too. I have never heard to turn the filter off. You need to leave that going, you did right to cover the intake but don't turn it off. And last that I can think of if you have 300, you will need a bigger tank for all that fry.

First off congrats.

They should do fine on crunched food or you could go but first bites if you wish too. I have never heard to turn the filter off. You need to leave that going, you did right to cover the intake but don't turn it off. And last that I can think of if you have 300, you will need a bigger tank for all that fry.

When will i need a bigger tank? I don't have room now. Will they grow fast? And I mixed together some flakes and blood-worms(smashed up) to feed them. More like a liquid paste now. How often do I need to feed them. Sorry for the questions but I am very new at fry raising.

No worries Hun, no need to say sorry we all start out learning.

You will need a bigger tank sooner rather then later, most fry should be of right size to go in with adults within 2-3 months, they normally don't stay tiny that long and will need the room to grow. I would feed tiny amounts every 3 ish hours I'd say, just make sure no food is being left behind in the tank, if there is the cut back on the food. You can wet the end of a tooth pick in the tank water and dip it in your crushed flakes and then tap in into the tank to feed them, the bloodworms are good too I'm just not sure if you are suppose to soak them first for them in some tank water.

If you have anymore questions ask away I or someone else should be able to help you out.

Enjoy your fry. :)

Calypso77 said:

You will need a bigger tank sooner rather then later, most fry should be of right size to go in with adults within 2-3 months, they normally don't stay tiny that long and will need the room to grow. I would feed tiny amounts every 3 ish hours I'd say, just make sure no food is being left behind in the tank, if there is the cut back on the food. You can wet the end of a tooth pick in the tank water and dip it in your crushed flakes and then tap in into the tank to feed them, the bloodworms are good too I'm just not sure if you are suppose to soak them first for them in some tank water.

If you have anymore questions ask away I or someone else should be able to help you out.

+1 ^ to that and your welcome ill ne following to learn as well lol

yes I mixed some flakes and smashed blood worms in water to make a slurry to feed them. more like a watery paste was planning om feeding them at least three times a day. How about lights?? On as long as my 55 gallon of 10 hours? You say these will grow fast? How fast is fast?? I don't expect them all to live but I would like enough to enjoy/sell/give away. WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS!!!

I have started to feed them about 1 ml of food each time X 3. Too much???

Lights on is fine and 10 hours is plenty. Growth rate all depends on their feeding and environment really. Feeding bloodworms I have heard can speed up the growth I'm not sure how fast though to be honest. Like I said usually by 2-3 months old they are ready to be put in with Adult fish, so it could be up to 3 months to grow to a nice size. As for the food I'm not exactly sure if 1ml 3 x a day is too much or not, the food I gave was never paste consistency it was always just dried food and I usually did a light pinch every 3 hours during the day unless they were leaving food behind.

When you feed them are they eating up everything you give them every time?

Lights on is fine and 10 hours is plenty. Growth rate all depends on their feeding and environment really. Feeding bloodworms I have heard can speed up the growth I'm not sure how fast though to be honest. Like I said usually by 2-3 months old they are ready to be put in with Adult fish, so it could be up to 3 months to grow to a nice size. As for the food I'm not exactly sure if 1ml 3 x a day is too much or not, the food I gave was never paste consistency it was always just dried food and I usually did a light pinch every 3 hours during the day unless they were leaving food behind.

When you feed them are they eating up everything you give them every time?

Sometimes they aren't even interested in it. It is hard to see them eat since they are really small. The mix is so small it is more liquid than solid. Should I just do the dried flakes instead and smash them up a lot. I know their mouths are very small and I want to make sure they are actually getting enough food into them to be of any benifit.

You could do just dried crushed flakes and maybe every other day turn one of those feedings into bloodworms.

I'll see if I can get a good picture for you today. Check back later on.

Here are a few pictures, sorry can't get any closer, also a picture of mom.

Attachments

• DSC_0902.jpg
    DSC_0902.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 58
  • DSC_0904.jpg
    DSC_0904.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 61
  • DSC_0901.jpg
    DSC_0901.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 58
I just put in a Moss ball (small) and a banana plant to help with any ammonia or other bad Mojo in the tank that they may be producing. Anything else I should add???

Back
Top Bottom