Darby!! I think my ramshorn is dead...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andrewz00

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i think my ramshorn snail died... i have no idea why tho... he just came in as a hitchiker a week or so ago.... and now hes dead...

what are the water parameters they require?

currently my tank:
PH 6.6-6.8
temp 76-78
no salts no chems
planted
occasional seachem flourish excel
ammonia 0
nitrites 0
nitrates 40-ish?

Judging by your pH, your water hardness is low too. Probably your snail didn't have enough calcium. They prefer a higher pH too, I think.

--Adeeb

Your nitrates are higher than ideal, you'll want to keep them under 25 (in my experience). Your pH is a bit low for the snail as well, though I am not sure if this would be the cause of death.

Did you notice him as being sick (seemingly drunk, moving very very slowly if at all, not coordinated, falling over)? Or did you just find him dead?

2 days ago he was cruising all over the tank... up the glass over the DW... yesterday i couldnt find him but there are a TOONNN of hiding places with all the plants and DW so i figured eh w/e ... then this afternoon i found him in the back corner of the tank... thought it was strange. checked a few hrs later and he was in the exact same spot. i reached in and picked him up, he looks like hes in the shell still just REALLY far inside and kinda shriveled up... i put him back on top of a piece of dw about 2hrs ago, hes since been in the same spot...no movement.

Your nitrates are higher than ideal, you'll want to keep them under 25 (in my experience).
in all honesty thats a guess... i should test it. be back in a few min

Well, it's better that you're at 5 than at 40+! Being under 5 is great, perfect.

Very likely, your snail is not dead. When they are dead and you pick one up, they will usually fall out of the shell. So, don't do anything drastic like throw him away; he's probably just sleeping. Mine falls asleep while eating, they're quite funny little guys.

If this behavior continues and you feel it is abnormal for him then separate him into another tank with new water (I'm saying 100% new water as long as it is chemically comparable to what you have in your tank) to make sure that there isn't something in the tank water that is poisoning him.

Everything is probably okay unless you notice him acting "drunk" like I mentioned before. In that case, definitely separate and give new water. Until then, and hopefully it won't be the case, just keep an eye on him and make sure he's got plenty to eat.

OMG!!! hes alive!!!! hes back climbing up the DW!!!!! phew... its funny that i wasnt crazy that he came in as a hitchiker and now i was getting upset because he wasnt moving!!! WOOOOHOOO!!!! ok i can sleep well tonight!

LOL, this is the first time I have seen my name on a thread! I feel so special! :D
Yeah, if you ever think they might be dead, smell them. Sounds gross (and it is) but you will know! Sometimes they just go into their shells, and the rams do shrivel since they don't have a trap door.
Grind up some cuttle bone (bird stuff) and sprinkle it in the tank so he can grow a nice shell. :) I actually used the small part of a cheese grater this week and it worked really well for making it into a powder. Just sprinkle like 1/2 tsp in once a month or so.

Glad to hear the little guy is out and about doing his snail thing! You'll get to know his habits soon :)

Back
Top Bottom