Dario dario

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok this is my all time favourite fish so I had to comment here :) Just as a forenote though: these fish are similar to bettas in that personality can vary greatly. I have heard they are extremely shy however mine, while shy, are no where near what I consider extremely shy. So I assume it must vary based on the individual.
Anyway to your question. You can keep TONS of fish in there! I have mine with black kuhli loaches and shrimp. They go great together. Also fish like, celestial pearl danios (galaxy rasboras), threadfin rainbows, blue eyed rainbows, and micro rasboras are great! I have heard of success keeping them with neon tetras as well. Pygmy sunfish may be good and moth catfish should go great. I have heard that pygmy cories are too active for dario dario but at least in my case I dont see why it would be an issue.
The main problems are that they are shy, and can be easily outcompeted for food. If you want to expand your options feed frozen prawn eggs. They scatter everywhere and give them a better chance.
Just try to stick with small fish. Dario Dario doesnt even reach an inch long so a large fish will scare them easily. Also fin nippers are out. If you get very active fish try and keep them the same size as or smaller than the dario dario (or close too it).
Sorry for the long winded answer but I hope it helps!

I would suggest staying with nano fish. They are easy targets for larger fish.

I would suggest staying with nano fish. They are easy targets for larger fish.
How do you always end up on all nano threads? lol I saw this thread and had to join in.

I agree, Dario dario are pretty small and very shy from what I've seen. Stick with nano fish as stated before. I can only imagine how many nano fish you could have in a 47!

I agree, Dario dario are pretty small and very shy from what I've seen. Stick with nano fish as stated before. I can only imagine how many nano fish you could have in a 47!
I know right? that is like a dream! lol

I know, I watched on video with them and I thought I was going to have to get a magnifying glass to see the little guy. At that, he stayed nestled in a jungle of plants. :ROFLMAO:

I know, I watched on video with them and I thought I was going to have to get a magnifying glass to see the little guy. At that, he stayed nestled in a jungle of plants. :ROFLMAO:
Yea but in person they are much prettier. Even the females are really pretty.

Hope it's ok that I jump in here, have a Dario Dario question. :)

I have a 29 gal with mostly nano fish and other small peaceful fish (ember tetra, celestial pearl danio, spotted blue eye, panda cory) and am considering Dario Dario as a "centerpiece." Do these fish do best alone? In pairs? In groups? Male to female ratio? I remember reading that they do best either alone or in a pair but I wasn't sure, figured I'd ask someone who has experience with them. Thanks in advance. :)

I keep 4. 2 m 2 f. I have heard that 1 male to a harem of females is good but I see no aggression with my setup.

Wow you have females?! That's awesome. I'm so jealous. I have a group of males and they are just fine w/o females. They do a little territorial dance with eachother from time to time, but for the most part they stay all together in the same area of the tank. One has never injured another. I got my hands on a female once but she quicky died.

Wow you have females?! That's awesome. I'm so jealous. I have a group of males and they are just fine w/o females. They do a little territorial dance with eachother from time to time, but for the most part they stay all together in the same area of the tank. One has never injured another. I got my hands on a female once but she quicky died.
I bought them within like an hour of being at the LFS. They didnt even have tags yet. When I try and get more I suppose I am going to have to either special order them or be sure to get there on delivery day.
The females I have have been suprising little guys...well gals. They started out at the LFS with very little color. Since I got them however I am seeing more and more subtle but gorgeous color!
Out of curiosity, what do you feed yours? And do you have the ones with blue on them?

Are you SURE they are females? The females look very different from the males. I'd love to see pics!!!

Yes, my males are gorgeous blue and orange.

I feed the tank a little bit of everything. I also see them eating a lot of snail eggs.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/26-gallon-bowfront-build-or-renovation-188224-2.html
Post 19 upper right corner is my female. Not showing the color all the way but pretty still. Click to make it bigger though or its hard to see lol
I feed mine prawn eggs every other day and flake food everyday. Its for the othe rfish mainly but I did see a female eat some!
BTW the above link is my build thread. I would love it if you hopped on because I know Im gonna have questions about these little stinkers and others like them eventually. lol

Wow that does look like a female! You should really try to breed those. You can ask a nice price for females. I'd be your first customer. ;) I will catch up on your build thread!

Back
Top Bottom