Dario dario in a community tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishyperson3010

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi
Would these be ok with a pair of dario dario or would the darios get eaten

Harlequin Rasboras
Tetras
Corys
Zebra loaches
Kuhli Loaches
Rainbow fish
Cherry barbs
Rams
Possibly a gourami
Cockatoo cichlid

I have no direct experience with this, it's only based on my research because I hope to get some Dario Dario someday too. From what I understand, they can be quite shy - so even if they don't get eaten you might not ever see them. They are often recommended to be kept in species only tanks. I'm personally waiting until I have a smaller set up just for them. Also, apparently they are kinda like tiny cichlids and can get territorial while breeding. I am really interested in watching their full range of behavior so I'm going to just keep them on their own.

VioletEmber said:
I have no direct experience with this, it's only based on my research because I hope to get some Dario Dario someday too. From what I understand, they can be quite shy - so even if they don't get eaten you might not ever see them. They are often recommended to be kept in species only tanks. I'm personally waiting until I have a smaller set up just for them. Also, apparently they are kinda like tiny cichlids and can get territorial while breeding. I am really interested in watching their full range of behavior so I'm going to just keep them on their own.

How big a tank do they need?

I would suggest not putting dario dario with tiger barbs or anything else that is larger than they are.

First thing is the feeding issue, they can be very picky, some will eventually eat flake or frozen foods, but some will starve themselves until they get live food. Also the other fish you are considering would over power them at feeding time so they wouldn't stand a chance.

Secondly, they are small fish, very small fish, best kept in a nano fish environment. The tigers alone would probably kill them, not to mention the gouramis, rams etc.

Again, these are fish best kept with other nano species or shrimp. I have some with RCS and in my 20long pygmy tank.

Hi
Would these be ok with a pair of dario dario or would the darios get eaten

Harlequin Rasboras
Tetras
Corys
Zebra loaches
Kuhli Loaches
Rainbow fish
Cherry barbs
Rams
Possibly a gourami
Cockatoo cichlid
I actually have 4 dario dario and I would say no cichlids of any kind, no gouramis or rams, no barbs, very very careful with rainbow fish (bleu eyes and threadfins would be ok but nothing like bosemani).
On the tetras it really depends on the tetra. Kihli loaches would be fine. Im not sure about zebra loaches as I know nothing about them. The rasboras should be fine. The cories should be fine as well.
The dario dario are beautiful and awesome fish!

Like has been stated, I would be more concerned with them not being able to get anything to eat.

Like has been stated, I would be more concerned with them not being able to get anything to eat.
That is really not an issue if you use the right food. Prawn eggs can be scattered alot and let everyone get a fair shot :)

Show them the fish and tell them they need only a small tank. lol

Will they form pairs or should I try and buy a pair
Depends on tank size but I would buy in pairs. Maybe not if it was like a 5 gallon. Then Maybe 1 male and 2 or 3 femles. Maybe 2 males.
And what could go with them
Again depends on tank size. Kuhli loaches, any microrasbora, gold ringed danios, any shrimp, dwarf cory, neons, and lots more. Just keep it small and very peaceful. And watch to make sure the dario dario get food.

GodFan said:
Again depends on tank size. Kuhli loaches, any microrasbora, gold ringed danios, any shrimp, dwarf cory, neons, and lots more. Just keep it small and very peaceful. And watch to make sure the dario dario get food.
8.8 gallons

Back
Top Bottom