Darn darn darn & double darn

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shellieca

Aquarium Advice Addict
Found a good deal today on a 46g aquarium & stand, apparently I didn't check the aquarium closely enough. While I was cleaning it getting ready to set it all up I notice on the bottom piece coming from the front corner there appears to be scratch, no big deal it's on the bottom no one will ever see it. However when I feel it's rough so now I'm in a quandary, scratch or crack? You can't feel anything on the outside of the tank. UGH! It's curved around 2" long. Load it all back up & take it back to the store & go on the hunt again? Or take a chance? Is there a way to tell if it's just a rough scratch vs. crack? Probably not worth taking the chance huh? . Dilemma.

When I shine a light on it it has a mirror image if that means anything.

image-1338240360.jpg

Fill it with some water and see how it holds up! If it holds water i would silicone it on both sides either way. If it doesnt hold water at all, take it back.

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Fill it with some water and see how it holds up! If it holds water i would silicone it on both sides either way. If it doesnt hold water at all, take it back.

I put water in it & there doesn't appear to be a leak. I thought about putting some silicone on it but if it is a hairline crack I wasn't sure if it would get worse once I put in all the gravel & filled it completely with water.

ashleynicole said:
It looks like a crack, I would take it back.

Unfortunately that's what I'm thinking; I have a feeling I'd be paranoid about if I don't.

Any chance it is just a little bit of the black silicone that looks like a crack? This is common.

severum mama said:
Any chance it is just a little bit of the black silicone that looks like a crack? This is common.

Don't hate me because I'm a DWEEB! That's exactly what it was. Blushing from my stupidity.

Ah, don't worry about it. Everyone has this scare at some point I think. It only occurred to me because I used to work at a lfs, and I have sold a lot of tanks.

So glad to hear I am not alone in my initial reaction. I'm excited now, my Saturday project. :)

Back
Top Bottom