Day 5 Fishless Cycle... algae? Slime?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gnarls Gnarlington

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have the tank at about 87F (86.8F) and I'm on day 5. I added air yesterday and it really makes the water evaporate quickly.

It also makes water appear on the top of my tank (see photo).

I wiped it down today and noticed some little brown slime or something in the corner of the tank. I also noticed that the air hoses are slimy (less than 24 hour old hoses).

Ammonia is still at around 4ppm.

A couple of questions:

1. Is this typical to have water condensation in the top of my tank?
2. Any recommendations on cleaning the tank or wiping it down? PetSmart sells a scrubber on a stick for acrylic tanks but I don't trust them.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 84
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 81
The condensation isn't a problem...it's normal. The brown could be diatoms, but the bio-film and BA this quickly seem a bit odd to me. What brand of ammonia are you using?

Good...I just wanted to make sure you weren't using a brand with detergents or surfactants, but that's a good brand. It seems quick for diatoms and a heavy bio-film after 24 hours but I wouldn't see cause for concern.

I use the sponges from Petsmart without problems, but I personally wouldn't concern myself with cleaning until your cycle is done.

Are you using any seeded media?

Gnarls Gnarlington said:
No. I am new and don't have another tank or friends in the hobby just yet. Just following your post to a "T".

Glad to hear it. Without seeded media it can take a while before things get moving. Just have some patience and try to forget you even own the fish tank for a while :)

Back
Top Bottom