De-chlorinator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
you can add the dechlor directly to the tank.. i do this all the time with no problem, and i only dose for the amount of water i add... sometimes a bit more if im not sure exactly the amount.

So I'm ok to just take out the 25% water, dump in the neccessary dosage of de-chlor in the tank for the new 25% going in (ie. not the whole tank), then put the water in straight after?

Do I have to pour the de-chlor in a certain place or wait for it to mix in or anything before I put the new water in?

MarkW19 said:
So I'm ok to just take out the 25% water, dump in the neccessary dosage of de-chlor in the tank for the new 25% going in (ie. not the whole tank), then put the water in straight after?

yep.. thats all you have to do... sometimes i add my dechlor while its refilling, or if i forget, i add it right afterwards. Don't sweat it.. ive been doing that for 6 months now and I havent had a problem. Most people on here do it the same way.

I will stand by my claim that a water change of 20% does not require the addition of dechlor to be safe

I have to agree with BillD on this one.
I to do not use dechlor, I've learnt to do smaller water changes more frequently which allows the "smaller" amounts to disperse quicker.(for lack of better terms)
I very rarely see someone use it around here, but I also expect Aus / US water chemistry would be totally different.

Never lost a fish, and judging by their appearance and behaviour, never stressed a fish this way either.

Matt.

Depends on water system. If it's just chlorine, it will go away quickly on it's own. But if it's chloramine, it doesn't. That's why I still use Prime, because I'm not sure what they use here.

Well, my tap water is chloramine treated, so I cannot test your out-gassing theory BillD, so I can't support or refute it. If it works for you, great. But for the novice fish keeper, the Advisor's are going to recommend tried and true technics...which means ALWAYS treating tap water with dechlorinator.
As for 'enough being left over from last time to deal with 20% new water'...I'm not a chemist so I don't know how long the chemicals in a dechlor stay active...AND if you're not adding extra in the first place, how could you have extra left over a week later to deal with 20% more water? Plus you're removing 20% of the left over dechlorinator during the water change.
Because these issues don't sit well with me, I'll continue to stick with my recommendation.

I suggest Prime because of its high concentration and effectivness.

When doing a bucket brigade, I add .2mL to each of my buckets (as 1mL of Prime treats ten gallons), and then fill them with proper temperature tap water. Thus by the time I've filled the last bucket (I have 3), the first should be plenty safe to dump into the tank.

I was thinking of putting (cold) tapwater into the buckets, adding the de-chlor, then heating the water up in the buckets (should take a few mins), then the water should be ready for the tank shouldn't it?

How are you going to heat it up? Dechlor works almost instantly. If you add hot and cold water to get the correct temp, and then add dechlor, by the time you get to the tank it will be ready. The circulation from being filled will circulate the dechlor in just a few seconds, and any chlorine or chloramine it touches, is instantly gone.

I was thinking of putting heaters in the buckets, otherwise it's going to be guesswork getting the water to the correct temp!

You can generally tell when it's close by putting your hand in the water. That's how I do my PWC's, and only maybe get 1 degree change in my tank after adding. Just pour in at a slow rate, not all at once. You will be fine. With your hand you can generally tell within 2-3 degrees, or sometimes even exactly the same. But usually never more than 2-3 degrees.

You can also purchase a thermometer or take one off of the tank. Put a glass in the sink and fill it with water, then check the temp. Move the hot/cold faucets either way until you get a close temp to the tank temp. But as stated, it doesn't have to be exact. But the closer the better. After a while you will be able to stick your hand in the water and do the feel test. That's what I do.

Use a floating thermometer to check the temp of the new water. It doesn't need to be exactly the same just close. When you add the new water, it will mix within the tank, and a slight temp difference will do little to change the tank temp, and will not do it quickly. It is not unusual to have pockets of different temps in a tank, especially if the heater is top mounted. If the water you add is slightly warmer, it is even less of a concern. I quite often add water that is 10 degrees F warmer.

Back
Top Bottom