De chlorinator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishygurl

Aquarium Advice Freak
When you do water changes, do you add enough decholrinator for the whole tank of just the water that has been replaced. Also when do you add it, before or after the water change?

Add enough for the water to be replaced, not the whole tank. Also, if you use buckets, just add to the bucket and dump in. If using a Python, you can add before, during, or right after.

I add enough for the entire tank. Some dechlorinators specify for the entire tank if directly filling into the tank. I use the python and add enough for the entire tank while the water is refilling.

Yer both right.

If you refill the tank using buckets of water, just treat the new water.

If you refill the tank using a Python or other hose directly from the tap to the tank, treat the whole tank to be on the safe side.

I have not run into a fish keeper with a degree in aquatic thermo/current-dynamics who could prove that you only need to add enough dechlor for new water when using a python to effectively treat it all.
Furthermore, when using a quality dechlor, like SeaChem's Prime, dosing a little extra won't hurt one bit.

I use Prime too. If you are using a Python and want to treat the whole tank, 1 capful will treat 50 gallons. 8O If you are using buckets (as I am), you only need 2 drops per gallon. Definitely the best value out there IMO. I scratched a line in my bucket to mark 3 gallons so it is easy to measure. While the bucket is filling up to the line I add the 6 drops of Prime and then add the water directly to the tank. I've never had any problems. :D

Back
Top Bottom