De-rimming a 10g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheCrazyFishLady

Aquarium Advice Addict
Some thread a few days ago (can't remember which one) had someone mention to do a riparium. Had no clue what this was, so I did a bit of research and was sold. I have a 10g set up with a one inch dragonscale betta in it and two sitting in the storage room, so I thought this would be perfect to set up for him and just transfer after it is done and cycled. And I've never done a log before and maybe this will help someone else out? I will try to post pictures as I go along.

So, I did a bit of reading on how to and lots of people say no, of course. But, this is a 10g and will only be filled roughly half-way. I have two back-up tanks just in case I mess something up or it cracks, so no worries. Anyway, lots of people use lots of different tools and do it different ways. Personally, I found this article to be the most interesting and easiest step-by-step presentation.

http://www.natureaquariumclubofutah.com/How_to_Remove_the_Rim_off_a_Standard_Rimmed_Tank.pdf

So, I'm going to clean one of my 10g tanks down (I'm usuing one of the storage ones and they are a bit gunky) and go buy some razors and alcohol in a bit.

I de-rimmed a 10g. It wasn't nearly as easy as they make it out to be. Maybe it was just the walmart tank, maybe it was my technique, but it took a lot more than a razor blade to get my rim off. I had to take pliers and break it off. Still turned out good, just wasn't as easy as they made it out to be. The fun part is getting all of the extra silicone off.

quick question:
is de-rimming really necessary? or is it purely for aesthetics (make the tank look bigger)?
I mean...you can still create a riparium-style tank with the rims attached.

anyways, I do LOVE the effect of riparium-style tank.
27-IX-10-tank-I-b.jpg

No, it's not neccesary. It just looks nicer, to me at least. And I want to try something new. I'm relatively new to this hobby, so I'm trying out all kinds of different tank set-ups as money/time permits.

mfdrookie: That's what I have heard also. If need be, do you think jewelry pliers would be heavy-duty enough? Or should I pick up a pair of true hardware pliers?

I'm going to wait for my roommate to get back from getting inked before I start. Just in case I slip and stab my eye out with a razor (one of my friend's did this when he was little and although his left eye looks really neat, I love my eye sight) or slit my throat or something. I think I might wear my goggles just as a safety measure. They are lab-grade, so they should suffice. I'm kind of nervous because of how awful I am with knives and razors...

DAY 1:

Today, I picked up the supplies from Walmart for under fifteen dollars: a basic box cutter, two packs of replacement blades (only needed one, actually), a bottle of rubbing alcohol, and cotton rounds. Also, needed to pair of goggles and a cushion.

I didn't clean the tank yesterday, so it's looking pretty awful.

View attachment 49347

I unlocked the box cutter and started by sliding it under the rim. It suprisingly came out very easily. Just did a few cuts and it popped off. I guess since it is a cheap Tetra brand. Here is my first piece off.

View attachment 49348

And the pieces that came off.

View attachment 49349

It took roughly ten minutes to get it all off. Then, took the replacement blades and at an angle, scrapped all the left over silicon. I also cut off the big chunks in the corners.

View attachment 49350

I started to clean off the residue, but it's not coming off very easily. I think rubbing alcohol isn't strong enough. I might go grab some goo-be-gone when I return that extra package of blades. So, this is all for today, my back and hands are aching. Definitely need a cushion to sit on for this. I still have to vacuum all the crap off of my floor. I would say this is a success so far!

Back
Top Bottom