Dead cory?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nataliedd

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok haven't had any fish die yet thankfully but think my bronze cory could be dead. Iv a 340litres tank, good water conditions as tested. I bought 2 corys last week (since learned that they thrive better in larger groups) one disappeared for 24hrs then reappeared at feeding time. This was 4 days ago and I haven't seen it since, I initially thought I'd a very shy cory but now I'm worried he's dead. So what do you guys think? Normal not to see a cory for a few days or dead??? Also if it is dead does the body float to the top?? Cheers in advance. Nat

Sent from my SM-G800F using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Oh and it's in with mollies guppies and tetras

They do like to hide under things... how many do you have total, then? The more you have the braver they'll be, in general.

Slowly stocking it so we've the 2 corys, 2 mollies, 6 tetra and 6 guppies. Would it still stay hidden at water changes and feeding times?

I would say that it's likely he's just hiding in your tank. I have 8 panda corys in a 45 gallon and even then I hardly ever see all of them at once.

Oh I thought they were lively wee things! Il get a few more and see if they come out a bit more

Still haven't seen it and it's day 5!

If you're really worried, you can get in there and check under any decor you may have. If he's still alive, he might be hiding because he's uncomfortable being in a small group. Keep in mind fish have their own personalities, so while the other cory might be ok being out in the open, the other might be less than thrilled.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

All plastic I'm afraid with rocks and logs. Think il have to move things to have a look but was hoping not to disrupt them.

Yeah!!! I'm happy to say that cory is alive! Eventually moved around decor and poor wee sod was trapped in between plastic plants. He's a few wee marks on him from obviously struggling to get out but hopefully nothing to harm him. Def gonna do away with plastic plants and get fresh ones after that!!

Glad to hear you're keeping an eye on them! I don't usually see my cories all the time, but if there's one I haven't seen in a while I go hunting. I've found two trapped on decor before. Plastic plants shouldn't be too bad if they have room to maneuver. From what I've read, cories have trouble swimming backwards so sometimes they get into places if they can't go forward they get stuck. Good luck!

Ta for response, got a few more corys, the albinos are lovely! Hopefully no more problems getting trapped in between plants

Back
Top Bottom