dead cory

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swmmnglessons

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just bought a spotted cory catfish lastnight and I found him dead under a plant this afternoon. I noticed my gourami picking on him a little when I first put him in but I didn't see any wounds or anything. Could he have died from being lonely? I didn't have any other catfish for him to school with. I also bought 8 danios and put 4 in that tank and the other 4 in my 20. The danios are doing fine but their gills looks a little torn. Should they look like that? They won't be still long enough for me to get a good look. It looks like they're painted and their paint is peeling off if that explains it better...lol

Corys are usually pretty tough fish. Although they are schooling fish, I doubt one would die in such a short time due to that. I had kept single corys for extended periods when I was a kid and they did OK. I suspect either a pre-existing illness or osmotic shock. Is the pH in your tank a pretty close match with the store? Was the cory slowly acclimated to its new home? The Danios...I'm not sure. For some reason gill flukes comes to mind. I think I would watch them closely along with all the other fish in the tank and see how they do. Can you send a picture of them? Do the Danios seem to be breathing OK and are they active?
Logan J

I figured he was probably sick when I got him. I didn't test the ph but will in the future. I keep my tanks at an even 7. The danios are extremely active and one has a fat belly but no scales sticking out. I'll keep watch...wish I could post pics but no scanner...

assuming your ammonia and nitrites are nil, how about nitrates? he could have been bullied to death i suppose...mine are very meek little guys....

Most likely, he was sick when you got him, or you didn't acclimate him to the tank long enough. I'm curious, did you get him at a chain pet store like Petsmart?

Back
Top Bottom