Dead fish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anna94

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I did a water change yesterday and just found a dead fish so I tested my water and these are the results. This is 24 hrs. after the water change and dosing Prime and Stability. The other fish seem to be doing fine. What could have caused my fish to die and should I do another water change since I just found the dead fish and Idk how long it's been dead?IMG_6123.jpg

Id do a 50 pwc cut trates in half.
No way to answer why... We have discussed the stocking. Creates stress as well as poor wq.

Id do a 50 pwc cut trates in half.
No way to answer why... We have discussed the stocking. Creates stress as well as poor wq.

I don't see how stocking can be an issue when I've always had ammonia, even when I used to have only 2 fish. And I do 50% water changes every week and my nitrates are always the same.

Speaking of dying fish....no way to know...but stocking creates more than just wq issues. We cant always see stress. But we know stress leads to weak immune systems which leads to issues/disease.

I've probably replied to more of your posts than anyone. Just try and help you. If you look through peoples tanks here with little issues youll often see three common denominators. Lots of plants, proper stocking and good maintenance.

Everyone has issues. But hobby is alot more fun when you put the odds for success in your favor.

Speaking of dying fish....no way to know...but stocking creates more than just wq issues. We cant always see stress. But we know stress leads to weak immune systems which leads to issues/disease.

I've probably replied to more of your posts than anyone. Just try and help you. If you look through peoples tanks here with little issues youll often see three common denominators. Lots of plants, proper stocking and good maintenance.

Everyone has issues. But hobby is alot more fun when you put the odds for success in your favor.

Like I said, I don't see how stocking can be an issue when ammonia has always been present since I first set this tank up 2 years ago and I even had ammonia when all I had were 2 fish.

flchamp89 is 100% correct.
Stocking issues are reason for more fish deaths than anything in my opinion. Every time I have lost fish it's been related to stocking issues. A peaceful community with good water quality leads to way less problems.

Sent from my N9130 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

flchamp89 is 100% correct.
Stocking issues are reason for more fish deaths than anything in my opinion. Every time I have lost fish it's been related to stocking issues. A peaceful community with good water quality leads to way less problems.

But if I still had ammonia in a 20 gal long with only 2 fish in it than there has to be another cause besides stocking. Someone just told me in another fish forum that they are over stocked and they never see ammonia.

From what I know, a cycled tank should always have zero ppm of ammonia; if you have any ammonia, that means your tank never fully cycled or the cycle is having issues . I don't know what caused this, but until the ammonia is gone it means you don't have enough beneficial bacteria to support the nitrogen cycle.
I think flchamp's point in discussing stocking was to say that even if parameters are fine, fish can get stressed in tight quarters. Despite your ammonia levels, if the fish feel like they don't have enough room, this can stress them out and make them more susceptible to illness. I agree that this could be a factor as well.
I am so sorry for the loss of your fish. I hope that all your other fish stay healthy and that you are able to work this out.

From what I know, a cycled tank should always have zero ppm of ammonia; if you have any ammonia, that means your tank never fully cycled or the cycle is having issues . I don't know what caused this, but until the ammonia is gone it means you don't have enough beneficial bacteria to support the nitrogen cycle.
I think flchamp's point in discussing stocking was to say that even if parameters are fine, fish can get stressed in tight quarters. Despite your ammonia levels, if the fish feel like they don't have enough room, this can stress them out and make them more susceptible to illness. I agree that this could be a factor as well.
I am so sorry for the loss of your fish. I hope that all your other fish stay healthy and that you are able to work this out.
Yes thank you. My redneck sometimes gets in way lol

I was adding Seachem Stability for about a week and then stopped for about another week and just added more yesterday while refilling my tank. So Idk why it's not helping boost my biological media.

Has that helped at all with parameters? Also, what kind of filtration are you running on the tank?
Could you also remind me of the stocking?

We all make mistakes, I've lost more fish than I'd like but the best thing we can do as responsible hobbyists is to fix any errors or overstocking we create for our fish. I just took my yoyo loach back to the lfs because he was chasing my livebearer fry, so after loosing several, someone had to be traded in for assassin snails.

Has that helped at all with parameters? Also, what kind of filtration are you running on the tank?
Could you also remind me of the stocking?

16 fish, including a horseface loach and 2 Celebes rainbows and I have an AquaClear 50 and a sponge filter.

Can you run us through a typical week of maintenance on what you do with the tank? Just every step you do things in, what you do, how tou do it, even the tiny stuff? Sometimes it can be something you don't even realize until you talk it through and go oh crap lol

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Can you run us through a typical week of maintenance on what you do with the tank? Just every step you do things in, what you do, how tou do it, even the tiny stuff? Sometimes it can be something you don't even realize until you talk it through and go oh crap lol

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I do 50% weekly water changes and gravel during every water change. Once a month or every other month I rinse the filter media in old tank water. During the water changes, I leave everything on, including the filter. I use a python to refill the tank, but I dose Prime before I turn my sink on to refill the tank. I haven't rinsed my sponge filter since I got it 3 months ago, but I've had ammonia problems long before I got the sponge filter. I actually got the sponge filter thinking the extra filtration would help, but it hasn't. About 3 weeks ago I did a deep clean of the gravel by moving all my plants and decor and sponge filter to the middle of the tank and I vacuumed in the spots that they were in; then I put everything back and vacuumed the rest of the gravel. I feed once every other day and hardly any leftovers float to the bottom.

Back
Top Bottom