Dead fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anna94

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just found my favorite fish dead. It wasn't very old and it was fine just the other day. I don't recall it being dead before I did my water change or if it was I just didn't notice it. This is the 3rd fish in a month. Why is it I can keep my dogs, cat, and bearded dragon alive, but I can't seem to keep fish alive?

I just did a water change and dosed Prime so I can't test as my readings won't be accurate. The tank is 20 gallon long, it is cycled, AquaClear 50 and a sponge filter, and the fish that died was a kribensis, cardinal tetra, and lemon tetra. The other fish are lemon tetras (3), Celebes rainbows (2), cardinal tetras (5), a horseface loach, and an oto

Because dogs and cats are easier to take care of, they won't die if one drop of the wrong stuff gets in the tank, because they don't live in water that has to be clean, because they don't have to have schools to live etc etc

How much water did you change?
Anything new?
Did you clean the filter
Im still saying it's the python just a guy feeling

Because dogs and cats are easier to take care of, they won't die if one drop of the wrong stuff gets in the tank, because they don't live in water that has to be clean, because they don't have to have schools to live etc etc

How much water did you change?
Anything new?
Did you clean the filter
Im still saying it's the python just a guy feeling

I changed 25-30% and I didn't touch the filter.

Gut feeling not guy... Tetras have to have schools or they get picked on and beat up trust me i know as I have to go get 3 more peppermint and 3 more lemons tomorrow because they are nipping each other, the only thing I can think of is how your doing your water changes, if the tank is cycled, maintained correctly, nothing getting into the tank you shouldn't have deaths unless it's stress, that's the only thing I can think of, unless they are just not healthy fish

So sorry for your loss.
Are all levels good? If so, maybe it was stress or disease. Have any of your fish been sick before? Have you added any new fish/inverts recently?

So sorry for your loss.
Are all levels good? If so, maybe it was stress or disease. Have any of your fish been sick before? Have you added any new fish/inverts recently?

No they weren't sick before and no new additions.

Good to hear you fish are doing well, Camaro.
Anna, I'm not sure what caused your fish to die. If all levels seem fine, he didn't seem sick, and he wasn't stressed, I'm at a loss for a reason behind his passing. I'd suggest keeping a close eye on your remaining fish and making sure they're all doing okay. It could've been an anomaly, but given that two other fish passed away, additional observation seems like a good idea.
Best wishes,
DreaminginBlue

I just found my favorite fish dead. It wasn't very old and it was fine just the other day. I don't recall it being dead before I did my water change or if it was I just didn't notice it. This is the 3rd fish in a month. Why is it I can keep my dogs, cat, and bearded dragon alive, but I can't seem to keep fish alive?

I just did a water change and dosed Prime so I can't test as my readings won't be accurate. The tank is 20 gallon long, it is cycled, AquaClear 50 and a sponge filter, and the fish that died was a kribensis, cardinal tetra, and lemon tetra. The other fish are lemon tetras (3), Celebes rainbows (2), cardinal tetras (5), a horseface loach, and an oto
You could still test after water change, prime would just detoxify ammonia or nitrites they would still show up. Then you could narrow down list of possible causes. I always test water when I have issues then can start marking possible causes off list and then change water to help fish, only takes a few moments but can provide invaluable information.

One major thing with her tank is it's over crowded, with non compatible fish, example her loach gets way way to big for that tank otos need multiple, rainbows need 4, one thing I think is personally I believe is how she does her water changes, when using a python the water change is completely different than a bucket but she cannot do the method with the bucket cause of lifting, I would highly recommend her to lower her stock and get the right fish for the tank, fill out the schools so theres no stress get another AQ 50 because her bio load is so huge, but as of right now she can't really fill her schools because she's already close to being over stocked

I know we have said this to you before, but it is strongly recommended you get a QT tank. I know you have pushed back before saying you can't afford it, but in the end it will save you money on having to buy more fish, and your favorite fish's lives as well. A 10 gallon QT set up would cost $30.

I know we have said this to you before, but it is strongly recommended you get a QT tank. I know you have pushed back before saying you can't afford it, but in the end it will save you money on having to buy more fish, and your favorite fish's lives as well. A 10 gallon QT set up would cost $30.
+1 better for everyone fins or not, lowering stocking will allow you to enjoy the hobby.

Back
Top Bottom