dead fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gypsybill

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have three dead fish and a fourth very near it. I noticed yesterday that one of my gouramis wasn't moving about, just hanging out in one corner so I looked a little closer and noticed two white spots. I assumed ich and so moved him to the QT (which meant I had to move my guppies into a tank that wasn't yet cycled which is an altogether different headache. ) I found my other gourami hiding in some plants lying on his side, not moving but still breathing. I moved him and a platy who was displaying similar symptoms to the QT. I did a water test but there was nothing out of the ordinary. nh3=0 no2=0 no3=aprox 20ppm ph=6.8

By the evening all three were dead and now this morning my other platy is sitting on the bottom of the tank not moving. I purchased all four of these fish from petsmart, as well as two cories (who are doing just fine.) I'm going to return the fish today after work. My question is what the heck happened to my fish? I floated them--inside their plastic bags--for twenty minutes to acclimate them to the temperature and also added aquarium water halfway through. None of my other fish seem to be sick, aside from the platy I mentioned before. Any ideas?

I'm not sure. It may have been ich that infected the gills and was not seen on the outside of the fish. Definitely return the fish and wait until the tank is fully cycled. If you need help with fishless cycling, let us know.

I am having the SAME EXACT problem. I have no idea what it is. The only difference are my parameters...
pH 7.5
nh3 1.5
no2 0
no3 0

Any ideas??

Bring that ammonia down! Do 50% PWC daliy until that ammonia is gone.
Internal diseases are hard to diagnos. Describle how the fish are behaving. Are they eating, scratching, slow, at the top/bottom of tank, etc.

This happened to all of my fish. I was in the process of cycling. I did all of the PWCs as told and followed everyone's intructions. Still ALL the fish died. All I have left is my frog. I took him out as intructed and I was going to do a fishless cycle. When I took him out he began to develop a body fungus (VERY slimy, no spots at all). Other than the slim he was acting normal. Apparently, the ammonia did NOT kill my fish because the ammonia was not high enough(only 1.5). It is something else and all the fish had the exact symptoms as above before they passed. I know I am not supposed to listen to the LFS, but they said since I'm at the beginning of the cycling process it would be best to clean everything and start over, because whatever is killing my fish is probably in the water. Since I put the frog back in the tank the body fungus has disappeared somewhat. I believe the ammonia is eating it. My parameters are the same as above. Any advice? I would like to prevent this from happening again if and when I start over. :cry: I would like to save the frog too! Hurry!

My frog has passed. :cry: :evil: :cry:

[Edit]
How do I prevent this from happening again? What was it?

Other than the slim he was acting normal. Apparently, the ammonia did NOT kill my fish because the ammonia was not high enough(only 1.5).
No, the ammonia did not kill the fish, but stressed the fish. Once a fish is stressed, they are more likely to get ill (just like us).
I know I am not supposed to listen to the LFS, but they said since I'm at the beginning of the cycling process it would be best to clean everything and start over, because whatever is killing my fish is probably in the water.
That's not true. Some LFSs are great, but you need to be wary. I have to agree. I have no idea what happened to all the fish. Try fishless cycling (dead shrimp, or pure ammonia, no additives).

ICDeadFish said:
This happened to all of my fish. I was in the process of cycling. I did all of the PWCs as told and followed everyone's intructions. Still ALL the fish died. All I have left is my frog. I took him out as intructed and I was going to do a fishless cycle. When I took him out he began to develop a body fungus (VERY slimy, no spots at all). Other than the slim he was acting normal. Apparently, the ammonia did NOT kill my fish because the ammonia was not high enough(only 1.5). It is something else and all the fish had the exact symptoms as above before they passed. I know I am not supposed to listen to the LFS, but they said since I'm at the beginning of the cycling process it would be best to clean everything and start over, because whatever is killing my fish is probably in the water. Since I put the frog back in the tank the body fungus has disappeared somewhat. I believe the ammonia is eating it. My parameters are the same as above. Any advice? I would like to prevent this from happening again if and when I start over. :cry: I would like to save the frog too! Hurry!

That 1.5 ammonia could have killed your fish. .5 over a period of days kills fish.

I understand that, BUT my ammonia had gone from 0 to 1.5 in 12 hours and then all fish dies about 6 hours later. 2 catfish and the frog had the slime. All of the other fish had the same symptoms as the frog and catfish except the slime.

Back
Top Bottom