Dead mollies - Help !!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Loafingstone

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Yesterday one of my mollies died. He was at the bottom of the tank breathing rapidly in a c shape for about 2 hours before he died. The previous day he was his usual self.

Today another of my mollies died. He was fine the day before and even this morning was swimming round happily but at most one hour later was on the bottom dead. He was just flat as opposed to the c shape of the other one.

There were no spots or lesions or anything wrong with them visibly. I had the water tested at the shop today and they said the water quality was perfect - I don't have the numbers though.

The tank is 100 litres and only had three mollies and 5 neon tetras. The tank is fully cycled and they have lived happily for about 3 months.

I have 1 Molly and 5 neons left. None of them have any sign of visible or behavioural sign of illness.

Any ideas.

Loafingstone said:
Yesterday one of my mollies died. He was at the bottom of the tank breathing rapidly in a c shape for about 2 hours before he died. The previous day he was his usual self.

Today another of my mollies died. He was fine the day before and even this morning was swimming round happily but at most one hour later was on the bottom dead. He was just flat as opposed to the c shape of the other one.

There were no spots or lesions or anything wrong with them visibly. I had the water tested at the shop today and they said the water quality was perfect - I don't have the numbers though.

The tank is 100 litres and only had three mollies and 5 neon tetras. The tank is fully cycled and they have lived happily for about 3 months.

I have 1 Molly and 5 neons left. None of them have any sign of visible or behavioural sign of illness.

Any ideas.

1) whenever you get it tested at a LFS ask for exact numbers.
( look into an API test kit so you can test at home)
2) what was the male to female ratio of mollys?
( should be around 1 male for every 3 females)
3) do a water change and see if that helps.
4) you said they lived in the tank for 3 months? Was the tank cycled when you bought them?

There were just 3 males, no females. The tank has been set up for about 4 months. There were no fish for the first month. Before I bought the fish I took a water sample to the shop and they said it had cycled. In the first week I put some bacterial solution in as well to help the cycling - think it was bacterial stuff.

Could they have had a fight ?

Thats what im thinking, they just fought. Check the survivor for missing scales and torn fins. If you can get him two lady friends it would keep him happy.

No further deaths in the last 24 hours and the one remaining Molly still seems healthy. I think you are right.

Thanks for your help.

Back
Top Bottom