Dead of a molly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

briemol12

Aquarium Advice Freak
So, two days I go I saw one of my lovely mollies swim out of the ordinary, it would swim on the bottom instead of being active and today in the morning she passed away.
Anyone knows of the reason??
Bri

You'll have to tell us your tank info please.

Size, fish inside, water levels, anything you can tell to help. :)

36g semi aggressive
1 rainbow shark
2 green tiger barb
2 tiger barb
3 rosy barb
3 dwarf gourami
2 blue gourami
1 rubber nose pleco

20g community
5 Molly
3 rummynose tetra
3 neon tetra
1 rubber nose pleco
2 otos
2 swordtail

Two 3g bettas

Mollies also like brackish water. They need salt, but use marine salt vice aquarium salt because it has minerals in it. The only problem I see is that you have freshwater fish mixed in with brackish fish.

Not trying to argue because I do know that Molly are brackish. I only learned this a few months back. But, I surprisingly have had all mine (5) for a year no deaths. And no salt at all. They have even had many babies. Very very happy healthy fish in completely fresh water.

36g semi aggressive
1 rainbow shark
4 tiger barb
3 rosy barb
4 dwarf gourami
1 rubber nose pleco

20g community
5 Molly
3 rummynose tetra
3 neon tetra
1 rubber nose pleco
2 otos
2 swordtail

Two 3g betta tanks

Mollies also like brackish water. They need salt, but use marine salt vice aquarium salt because it has minerals in it. The only problem I see is that you have freshwater fish mixed in with brackish fish.

Mollies don't "like" brackish water. It's where they originate from. They can adjust to the salinity of water around them. Mollies can be put in saltwater if you have the time, space, patience, and money for such a task.

As for the death of the molly we need more info. Any symptoms? Tiny white spots? Bulging stomach?

You'll have to tell us your tank info please.

Size, fish inside, water levels, anything you can tell to help. :)

36g semi aggressive
1 rainbow shark
2 green tiger barb
2 tiger barb
3 rosy barb
3 dwarf gourami
2 blue gourami
1 rubber nose pleco

20g community
5 Molly
3 rummynose tetra
3 neon tetra
1 rubber nose pleco
2 otos
2 swordtail

Two 3g bettas

All my perimeters are normal just check less then an hour ago.
I have
Neon tetras
Mollies
Balloons mollies
Plattys
Cory catfish
And a spotted African leaf (friendly)

Oh I didn't know mollies were brackish water ... But I bough them at the same time and the black molly is still alive. I thought she was swimming kinda dropsy.

Not trying to argue because I do know that Molly are brackish. I only learned this a few months back. But, I surprisingly have had all mine (5) for a year no deaths. And no salt at all. They have even had many babies. Very very happy healthy fish in completely fresh water.

36g semi aggressive
1 rainbow shark
4 tiger barb
3 rosy barb
4 dwarf gourami
1 rubber nose pleco

20g community
5 Molly
3 rummynose tetra
3 neon tetra
1 rubber nose pleco
2 otos
2 swordtail

Two 3g betta tanks

Yeah mine are the same :3

Mollies don't "like" brackish water. It's where they originate from. They can adjust to the salinity of water around them. Mollies can be put in saltwater if you have the time, space, patience, and money for such a task.

As for the death of the molly we need more info. Any symptoms? Tiny white spots? Bulging stomach?

No white spots and no bulging stomach. She usually was swimming around but I notice she would swim and stay in one place for a long period of time. And that happen for 2 days straight. Then this morning I look and she was laying on the gravel :( ... She had so much personality I am sad.

How big is you African leaf fish? (Leopard ctenopoma)

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

Mine is around 5 inches and just are an entire school of giant danios. In the past he eaten schools of tiger barbs, and tetras

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

Well my molly didn't disappear or anything like that. Her swimming was off and would swim in one place for a long period of time. But my African is the sweetest :) my favorite fish that I have own.

Back
Top Bottom