Dead pleco...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ccross

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Found my common pleco dead in my tank today. He is covered in white slimy stuff. What could it be? Should I be concerned about the goldfish that lived in the tank with him?

He was alive and seemed well yesterday. How could he already be covered in white slime?

Sounds like it could be slime disease to me and yes it could affect the goldfish if that is the case.

You are very welcome! This medication will not harm any other fish if you do not have a quarantine tank. (though I would really recommend it if you do not have one. My tank has saved me thousands.) Keep me posted with your fight!

What size tank were they in? What's the parameters? I ask because slime disease most often occurs in poor water quality and/or overcrowding. General stress can cause it as well.

It's actually caused by a parasite, so Melafix is not the best treatment. Salt, raising the temp, and parasite meds are your best options.

I wouldn't treat as of yet. I would start by doing a large water change. Then wait and watch your goldie for symptoms, like cloudy looking patches, rapid breathing, and flashing.

What size tank were they in? What's the parameters? I ask because slime disease most often occurs in poor water quality and/or overcrowding. General stress can cause it as well.

It's actually caused by a parasite, so Melafix is not the best treatment. Salt, raising the temp, and parasite meds are your best options.

I wouldn't treat as of yet. I would start by doing a large water change. Then wait and watch your goldie for symptoms, like cloudy looking patches, rapid breathing, and flashing.

Wow I did not know that! I guess you learning something knew everyday! I've been doing it wrong for years! :eek:

Yes, we sure do. :) MelaFix is actually a tea tree oil. It's soothing for injuries, but won't really cure infections/parasites.

Yes, we sure do. :) MelaFix is actually a tea tree oil. It's soothing for injuries, but won't really cure infections/parasites.

Correct I knew that, but I also thought that it actually fixed something. Darn you API! :banghead:

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, had to run earlier but siva has it right.

Back
Top Bottom