dead tetra!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not envious of your position right now. I hate when something happens to my tank/fish without an obvious reason. Having said that, I really think your best course of action is to be patient and continue to monitor your fish. There are so many different things that could be going on that it can get a little daunting trying to solve the problem. I did think of one possible cause that may or may not be fatal. If the pH of your lfs's was significantly different than yours and you did not acclimate your fish prior to adding them to your tank they may be suffering the effects of that sudden swing. That could explain their difficulty with breathing. If they're hardy, they may pull through.

OhNeil1969 said:
I'm not envious of your position right now. I hate when something happens to my tank/fish without an obvious reason. Having said that, I really think your best course of action is to be patient and continue to monitor your fish. There are so many different things that could be going on that it can get a little daunting trying to solve the problem. I did think of one possible cause that may or may not be fatal. If the pH of your lfs's was significantly different than yours and you did not acclimate your fish prior to adding them to your tank they may be suffering the effects of that sudden swing. That could explain their difficulty with breathing. If they're hardy, they may pull through.

You know something that fish stores should start doing?
They should post there water perimeters on a peace of paper right next to the tank.
They should test the water everyday. I think that would be so helpful!

OhNeil1969 said:

I acclimated for an hour. Waiting 30 minutes for then to adjust to the temp and then adding water every 10 minutes.

im dissolving the salt in a cup of water dechlorinated of course. they didnt have a 55 gallon at any petco so im off to craigslist to look for one. if anybody figures out what this is plz tell me. now should i go buy the 2 more tetras tomorrow since they'll be shipped into petco tomorrow?

good news. so after the bubbles and the salt has been added (some salt is still dissolving) my tetras have been alot more active. but im kind of worried about my wisteria and anubius plants. will they suffer from the salt? should i move them to my 5 gallon?

allaboutfish said:
good news. so after the bubbles and the salt has been added (some salt is still dissolving) my tetras have been alot more active. but im kind of worried about my wisteria and anubius plants. will they suffer from the salt? should i move them to my 5 gallon?

That is great to hear! I have added salt to a planted tank before without a problem. But I didnt have those exact plants. If I were you I would probably put them in your 5 gallon. Better safe than sorry!

Back
Top Bottom