dead tetra!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

allaboutfish

Aquarium Advice Addict
i woke up and looked into my tank and only conted 4 tetras. well i looked everywhere in the tank and then i saw a fin behind the filter and it was dead. it's fins were riped and it's eye was gone. i dont know if the filter did it or if a fish did it.i see no other signs. i just got them 2 days ago. what could've happened. ill post pics in a minute.:(:thanks:

5874176566_8d2c961c4a.jpg

5874189208_b129f2069c.jpg

2 cockatoo apistos. the only thing that's been acting aggressive is the largest tetra. he's been chasing the others around, but they could be playing. the apistos haven't even been paying attention to the tetras.

piranhas dont kill eachother though and all tetras are related even neon
ive seen piranhas do basically what happened to your tetra toio each other,the took out one of its eyes and most of its fins and chunks of its body.

now 2 of my tetras are shaking in one spot, and all the tetras that are doing this have been white instead of blue and red. im gonna pick up some aquarium salt to help these guys out. what else should i get? what could this be?

These are some of the toughest tetras I've kept. Surprised you're having issues. Aquarium salt is great for treating ich, but you don't know what's going on here so it may not make any difference for whatever this is.

doesnt the salt also help breathing? im wondering if the reason these aren't colorful is bc of the sickness. ok so im going to list the symptoms
shaking
irregular breathing
not moving with the rest of the school
pale
red above the eyes

I am really sorry to hear that you are having problems with your new fish. I wish I knew how to help you out

You said you just got these fish a few days ago. Where did you get them from? Was the original tank in good health (no dead fish)? The behavior you describe (irregular breathing) and change in appearance makes me think there is a disease present (maybe even neon tetra disease which is incurable), especially since your water parameters are OK. Oddly enough the symptoms you describe can also describe oxygen deprivation. Is your tank planted? What size is it and how many other fish are present?

i got it from petco, but a very good petco. with no dead fish in the tank. i have a 29 gallon lightly planted and the filter makes lots of surface aggitation. it has 2 cockatoo apistos and 5 now 4 columbian tetras. im going to add an air stone and some aquarium salt. im going to petco now what else should i get?

allaboutfish said:
i got it from petco, but a very good petco. with no dead fish in the tank. i have a 29 gallon lightly planted and the filter makes lots of surface aggitation. it has 2 cockatoo apistos and 5 now 4 columbian tetras. im going to add an air stone and some aquarium salt. im going to petco now what else should i get?

You could talk to PETCO and see if they have lost any of the fish that were in the tank that you perchased the tetras from. You can also ask then how long they had the tetras in there tanks (2 tank transfers in just a few days can be stressful).

Back
Top Bottom