Dead tetra D:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pandicorn

Aquarium Advice FINatic
OK So this is attempt 2, as the other thread I wrote crashed and restarted ugh :nono:

Anyhow - Here is all the information that I can provide, and hopefully some kind forumgoer will help :D

Question: Why did my RummyNose Tetra die? How can I prevent it in the future?

Water quality:
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - Looks like somewhere between 10 and 40, but probably more 10-20. You know how API color coding can be :lol:

Tank Info:
45 Gal tank
1 Dual Sponge Filter
1 Fluval 306

Tank mates
7 RN Tetras
2 Neon Tetras
3 Peppered Coryes
2 German Blue Rams (Paired)

Other info: I have had 2 Pep Corries die on my in this tank, for seemingly no reason... All the other fish were fine. I only saw one go, and it kinda just floated to the top, and then wiggled around. Then floated, then wiggled around.

The RN tetra that passed was found ?tangled in a plant root, with white mold covering it. I don't know when it occurred, but I could still see some color (red) in it, if that helps at all.

Anyway, hopefully I've covered all the information Possible, but if not please give me heads up and I'll edit it in.

Thank you for all your time and help!

Fish just die sometimes from natural causes. Tetras dont live particularity long to start with. Also, your rams could be stressing the smaller fishes, especially when the lights are out. My rams are bullies to everything and I cant imagine what they would do to smaller tetras, especially during spawning. They could be your culprits.

Fish just die sometimes from natural causes. Tetras dont live particularity long to start with. Also, your rams could be stressing the smaller fishes, especially when the lights are out. My rams are bullies to everything and I cant imagine what they would do to smaller tetras, especially during spawning. They could be your culprits.

Thanks! But, when lights out, sometimes I get home late and I look at the tank, or just can't sleep and I come down. When I look, the rams are almost always hiding in the plants, very pale and timid. My tetra was pretty big when I got him about a year ago, if that makes a difference.

UPDATE: Another RNT Found dead! :( This one was not covered in moss, but it was found stuck to the filter so... IDK? I turned down the temp a bit (Was 83ish, is now 81 ish) Keep In mind I have 2 GBR as well. Just did a water change, haven't found the time to take water param, but I'm pretty sure they're OK. Could It be maybe my PH or something? Any help is appreciated!

Rummynose can be very sensitive fish. Once they are established they can do very well. But I've always understood they needed pristine water and heavily planted tanks to be happy.

Is your tank planted ?

Check with your local water department and ask if there been any changes or if they flush the lines. Test your tap water as well.

Your heat may be too high for them ? ??

I know they also like low pH in general.

Rams typically need high temperatures so it's important to use fish that are compatible with those temperatures. That's why so many people use Cardinal Tetras.

http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fresh/characins/RummyNoseTetra.php

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

How often you change water??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

How often you change water??

~ 1.5 weeks, WORST CASE 3 weeks. I usually do a 50%+ WC. My nitrates are generally 20-40, ammonia and nitrites are 0. I will test ph in an hour or so, and post back. My tank is moderately planted. Temp usually floats around 81-82.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not good, you need to stay up on weekly wc's with your stock.. plain and simple. .

Not good, you need to stay up on weekly wc's with your stock.. plain and simple. .

OK, will make it a priority to stay on top of water changes! You think that that is the problem? :|

OK, will make it a priority to stay on top of water changes! You think that that is the problem? :|

Without knowing indefinitely. . Yes..

If the water is within the proper parameters.. Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 20-40. What is the reason for staying on top of the water changes?

If the water is within the proper parameters.. Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 20-40. What is the reason for staying on top of the water changes?

Proper? Assuming that pandi is performing the test correctly?? 40 ppm is too high for sensitive fish. Doesn't matter really, all fish benefit from clean water. The only reason not to change water weekly is because you're lazy and you don't care about your tank as much as you should..

I find consistency helps (like exercising). My rosy barbs start mucking around now and chasing the females before I get the hood off now (let alone the water change). They don't stress as every week for the last several years they got a 1/3 water change.

Proper? Assuming that pandi is performing the test correctly?? 40 ppm is too high for sensitive fish. Doesn't matter really, all fish benefit from clean water. The only reason not to change water weekly is because you're lazy and you don't care about your tank as much as you should..

If my results are wrong it's not that I tested it wrong, it's that the nitrate colors are so darn hard to tell apart!

- Will make sure to do Water changes weekly - would ~ 30/40% be ok? My tank is like 50% stocked atm

Back
Top Bottom