Dead tiger barb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nicolecandy44

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Yesterday, one of my tiger barbs died. Right after it died, I froze it up in the freezer to prevent it from stinking.....I later observed it and saw that half of his tail was gone. Is this a sign of fin rot or major tail nippers? :blink:

How big is the tank, if you have a smaller one with a school of these guys they could pick on the smallest one in the group.

I have a 36 gallon tank with only 2 tiger barbs (1 now) I was planning on getting more; just wanted to see if they got along with the other fish first, but now one's dead and the other one's not doing too good.

Just keep an eye on him and check you're water for the ammonia and all that good stuff, maybe there is a third party(as in fish) causing him stress if this continues I guess the nest thing to do is to quarantine the barb.

I seperated him from the rest oaf the community by putting him in a little breeders net/box but I don't want to stress him out too much ..

I have a 36 gallon tank with only 2 tiger barbs (1 now) I was planning on getting more; just wanted to see if they got along with the other fish first, but now one's dead and the other one's not doing too good.

Tough to say if it was fin rot or fin nipping. What other fish do you have in the tank? TigerBarbs are aggressive fin nippers when kept in small groups and need to be in a shoal of ideally 6 or more. When they are kept is small numbers they tend to act out and the other TigerBarb may have nipped and bullied it to death.

Well I have
3 balloon mollies
3 guppies
2 neon tetras
2 skirt tetras
2 mini red tetras
1 platy
1 dalmation molly
1 pleco
1 algae eater
1 glofish
1 tiger barb
1 angelfish

Hehe I think that might be too many fish..but they all get along pretty well. Or so it seems.:ermm:

Back
Top Bottom