Dealing with fish that don't like current at ALL?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shadey

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a pair of betta mahachai.

They were originally in a 6 gallon very very well planted tank, and were happy for a few weeks, but then they became very shy..... they'd only come out to eat, the rest of the time they'd press themselves into the darkest corners of the tank - behind the filter, the heater. It's a great tank- ~80 degrees, plants / driftwood everywhere, almond leaves in the water for tannins. But they'd hide. ; ;

I took them out. For a short time I had them in a 2 litre bucket - and they were incredibly happy. The male built a bubble nest. He would guard it, flare when I came over to the bucket. Observe!

happybucket.jpg

Now I've got them in a different 6 gallon tank. There's some driftwood and one plant, and the filter flow is to one side rather than in the center, like in the old tank. It's a much lower flow, and they're less shy. They don't wedge themselves behind things. But I don't see them very much, still, unless I am feeding them.

However if I turn the filter OFF... they both come out, start swimming around. They flare at reflections, follow eachother around, inspect things.

How can I solve this? They are only happy when there is NO current at all. Would moving to a bigger (10gallon?) tank reduce it enough? Should I keep them in filterless bowls, the way you're not supposed to keep betta?

Thoughts? :(

They're lovely fish but not really any good if I never see them.

You could try and put something right in front of the filter to reduce the flow. maybe even put some filter media over the outtake.

I agree with GodFan. Try tying some plants there or something to decrease the flow. Another option would be a sponge filter. I have have found them to work well and they do not create the same current that hob filters do.

bruinsbro1997 said:
If you have an AquaClear filter, the intake flow is adjustable so you can reduce the current it makes.

Reducing Current means less filtration. You can get a filter sponge and place it where the filtered water hits the water so it dissipates

You could try a sponge filter or i saw that a guy on here siliconed a sponge on the tank right under where the water comes out. You could test that out by holding it up there and seeing how it works

Ibrahim said:
Reducing Current means less filtration. You can get a filter sponge and place it where the filtered water hits the water so it dissipates

when you turn it down the same water is filtered through multiple times, so its filtered more. It doesnt suck in as much water though, if thats what you mean.

Right now the filter flow at the output is very low. I have an almond leaf stuffed into the filter intake, catching most of it. It's a very gentle flow. It is still too much for them.

The sponge under the filter will even out the flow so there should be almost no water movement but water will still be filtered

Is there any chance they dislike the sound/vibration of the filter more than they dislike the current? Just a thought.

I've noticed over the years and in general that bettas prefer no water movement at all. Even a sponge filter causes the surface of the water to move.

If you plant it really well and have some good lighting on it you could just let the plants oxygenate the water. Or, just run a sponge filter at a very low flow rate so that it is just breaking surface tension a little on one side of the tank.

tarpon said:
when you turn it down the same water is filtered through multiple times, so its filtered more. It doesnt suck in as much water though, if thats what you mean.

Yeah I meant less GPH

Heres a thought - Take a plastic water/Gatorade bottle cut it in half height wise (make sense? top to bottom) and place it directly where you water flow is coming out so the it flows in the bottle and then backwards toward the tank wall. You could even angle it upwards so that it just kinda spills over the edge of the bottle. Ya get what I'm trying to describe?

I shoved a piece sponge in the intake and it slowed down the flow significantly. My bettas seem much happier, and since they are the single fish in each of their 5 gallons, they really don't need that much filtration.

I had a similar issue with my AquaClear. The fish weren't bothered by it but the splashing would cause a lot of little bubbles in the water, even with the water raised and the filter on the lowest setting. I put a piece of filter padding on the outtake as directed here and it works great.

That filter batting link is very interesting, librarygirl....! I don't have any atm, but it will probably work better than the sponge block I was thinking of stuffing in there somehow.

Thanks much, all. I will give it a try!

Good luck, I've always had issues with my bettas and keeping their water filtered with minimal turbulence. I was actually considering an UGF at one point, but I really love my sand and live plants. That link is quit interesting. Where do you get that filter stuff?

Good luck, I've always had issues with my bettas and keeping their water filtered with minimal turbulence. I was actually considering an UGF at one point, but I really love my sand and live plants. That link is quit interesting. Where do you get that filter stuff?

I just bought some filter pads at a local PetSmart (similar to this but different brand). The ones I got were large size so I just cut one to fit the outake of the filter. The box came with 3 pads so I can change them out as needed).

Back
Top Bottom