Death after giving birth?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

briemol12

Aquarium Advice Freak
One of my guppies gave birth 2 days ago and to my surprise I wake up this morning and the only fish that was dead was her. Is there any possibly that giving birth cause her her dead. The other thing is the day after she gave birth she would swim in one place and didn't move much.
Anyone can help me out here ?

I have endlers live bears which are very closely related to guppies.
When the females give birth they become stressed. And sometimes they die of stress.

It happens they do die after birth sometimes.

Sent via Messenger of Gondor

It happens sometimes unfortunately :(

Humans and other animals can have complications during birth so I assume it is exactly the same for live bearing fish. It's pretty random. I've had tons of females have fry and only a couple have died

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Fish and other egg laying animals can become egg bound and get infections or get sick and die

Really? In cows? Ours have never died after giving birth. Although a few have prolapsed...

Fishobsessed7

Yeah, too young. Way too young by months. I'd read up and asked my father who had a farm but we shouldn't of had the bull running with them. Lost one and another ended up slightly lame from giving birth.

Later on we got more experience and it was just a hobby farm but we got some separate paddocks going. The bull was a bugger. It would pinch one of any leather gloves lying around so you had to be careful if fixing the fences otherwise you only had one glove for the rest of the day.

Oh.. I see. I was thinking of mature cows. We had a heifer that became crippled after her first calf. She couldn't walk. She rolled down a hill and drowned in a pond.

Fishobsessed7

One of my guppies gave birth 2 days ago and to my surprise I wake up this morning and the only fish that was dead was her. Is there any possibly that giving birth cause her her dead. The other thing is the day after she gave birth she would swim in one place and didn't move much.
Anyone can help me out here ?

My mother has guppies and the same thing happened to her. The guppy dropped its fry and died the next day. If its a pet store guppy (which hers was) who knows how old it even was. I assume an older more stressed guppy is more susceptible to death after dropping the fry.

I don't know anything about guppies but I know a lot of animals die after giving birth... I don't know if guppies do or not but if this is your first time maybe look it up

Also in general guppies have relatively short lifespans to start. I remember a week ago reading it was only like 1-3 years and like a previous posted said who knows how old they are when you get them!

I don't know anything about guppies but I know a lot of animals die after giving birth... I don't know if guppies do or not but if this is your first time maybe look it up

Thank you

Did she have them in the display tank? If so try to get as many out as possible or the other guppies will eat all the fry

Back
Top Bottom