Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-29-2017, 11:56 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I have acclimated fish to my water from my friends which hers was over 8 pH, and mine right at 6.8 pH. It was in an hour or 2. None dead. Some fish can adapt better to changes.

Delicate fish can be delicate, and fish who have had a hard couple weeks traveling everywhere and are stressed can die, and maybe as you said he just couldn't handle it. If he was that big, maybe he was very much older and at the end of his life anyway.

If you do not have more deaths, as in not an illness thing, you are probably going to have the best bet if you cut the water with RO and try the DW approach..

Also maybe find out where they came from, like locally bred, or from a huge fish farm, or wild caught. Wild caught are most critical in possibility of issues becasue of where they were raised, in softer water from their natural habitat. They are great little fish. Just make sure you see that they are getting food. Other bigger fish can sometimes bully them away.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 12:06 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

For five gallons, it seems like it would be more economically sound to buy RO/DI water than an RO/DI system.

Old 01-30-2017, 12:11 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnsky View Post
I have acclimated fish to my water from my friends which hers was over 8 pH, and mine right at 6.8 pH. It was in an hour or 2. None dead. Some fish can adapt better to changes.

Delicate fish can be delicate, and fish who have had a hard couple weeks traveling everywhere and are stressed can die, and maybe as you said he just couldn't handle it. If he was that big, maybe he was very much older and at the end of his life anyway.

If you do not have more deaths, as in not an illness thing, you are probably going to have the best bet if you cut the water with RO and try the DW approach..

Also maybe find out where they came from, like locally bred, or from a huge fish farm, or wild caught. Wild caught are most critical in possibility of issues becasue of where they were raised, in softer water from their natural habitat. They are great little fish. Just make sure you see that they are getting food. Other bigger fish can sometimes bully them away.
Thank you again Autumn Sky. You are proving to be a valuable advisor! And now we have a conversation up about my CPDs too. I got them from the same place. Fairly reputable (and expensive!) fish store in Greenwich, CT, about 40 minutes from me. I know they will replace it for me when/if they get more in...or I could get the 3 pygmaeus??? There is a small piece of driftwood in there. Maybe I should figure out what kind. I could get another one... or what are your thoughts on peat moss?? I know the CPDs and the corys would like tannin stained water anyways, and I'm sure the betta would be happy too. What direction to go in? I'm guessing whatever I do, do so gradually? I am sort of afraid to do anything at the moment because I don't want to throw at them too many changes at once. I keep reading stable PH is more crucial than ideal PH.
Old 01-30-2017, 01:49 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirbhao View Post
For five gallons, it seems like it would be more economically sound to buy RO/DI water than an RO/DI system.
In the case of not being any where near a lfs which has water. I have a 30-45 min or more drive to get to stores which have it so the difficulty of getting to where it to pick it up and cost of gas can add up. I still drive for mine and have 4 containers for water (SW though). Having a unit can be such a great convenience and comfort knowing you didn't run out of water. There are some lower cost ones.
~~~

I feel that the Pygmaeus Cories, accounts from keepers (I don't and haven't ever had Pygmies) are that they are easier, and very hearty.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cory, corydora, corydoras, death, eat

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com