Dechlorinate tap water in tank or bucket?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarMan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a DIY 100 gallon slightly planted aquarium. When I do my 25% water changes I have been using a 5 gallon bucket to treat the tap water and then do this again and again for 5 times until I reach 25 gallons. I just bought a device that connects to my sink so I now want to fill the tank up with tap during water changes and then add the dechlorinator. Is this bad for freshwater fish or the bacteria in filter?

After the tank is full I add the dechlorinator.

This may work for you but it's not recommended. Conditioner should be dosed to the tank size prior to refilling or while refilling, not afterwards. For those of us with very high chlorine or chloramine levels, dosing afterwards may result in a disinfected tank and/or sick fish. Better to be safe than sorry if you do not know the exact levels of disinfectant your tap contains on any given day. :)

I always dose before I turn on the tap, and dose base on the total tank volume. For my 56 gallon, that equals a hair more than a capful of Prime. I recently started using a spare CVS dosing syringe to get more exact, but this method, as mentioned above, is the way to go.

i have a 90gal... i normally do a weekly 50-60% pwc.... i use a python siphon, no buckets. i dose 1 cap full of Prime the minute i turn the tap to flow back into the tank... i then dose a second cap full once the tank is just about full. I have been doing this for years now, no issues.

I always add it after I do my water change and have never had any issues but I wouldn't exactly call myself an expert

Back
Top Bottom