Dechlorinating water for WC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scott28

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all,

Apologies if this is a stupid question, but when doing a water cycle, do you dechlorinate the water you're adding to the tank before you put it in?

This is not something I thought massively about till a minute ago.

Cheers!

Yes always do. I have jugs set aside that I put water in and add Prime to it and let them sit at room temp before adding it.

No stupid questions here. Yes, always dechlorinate any water you add.

Ooops.. had a feeling that would of been a good idea.. what product do you use for this? Didn't think of leaving it to sit at room temp.. Will definitely do that next time.

I use Prime made by Seachem it removes Chlorine, Chloramine, Ammonia, and detoxifies Nitrite and Nitrate and provides the fish with slim coat. The thing I like about Prime is it uses a lot less the most water conditions out there that I have used.

I always add enough prime directly to the tank and then add the new water after

Scott28 said:
So you add standard tap water in after?

Yep. It's supposed to work instantly but I let it sit in the tank a few minutes before I add tap water.

I just switched over to Prime, too. I add mine in a one gallon jug, which has been sitting at room temp, shake, then add to the water.

Scott28 said:
Cheers i shall invest in some.. Didn't realise the work and cost involved in doing it properly.. On a positive I'm learning lots!

You sound just like me a few weeks ago. This stuff is harder than I thought. I've spent over $200 on tanks, drops, plants, decor, etc, and $10 on fish. LOL

Prime is the way to go, you might have to get it online as not many shops in the UK stock Seachem products - 5ml or one cap full will dechloranate 200 litres, lasts for ages, I use a 1ml syringe to measure for my water changes, 0.3ml for about 12 litres. You can also use it in higher dosages in emergencies to handle high nitrites and nitrates.

I just learned that for us people doing smaller water changes, 2 drops per gallon. And warning, the stuff STINKS. That's normal.

Yep. It's supposed to work instantly but I let it sit in the tank a few minutes before I add tap water.

Makes sense, it would potentially be easier for me to do this way.. though I can see why people let it sit.

I just switched over to Prime, too. I add mine in a one gallon jug, which has been sitting at room temp, shake, then add to the water.

I think I'm going to need to invest in a few more jugs! lol

You sound just like me a few weeks ago. This stuff is harder than I thought. I've spent over $200 on tanks, drops, plants, decor, etc, and $10 on fish. LOL

I spent £129 on my tank which came with a cabinet stand, heater, filter. I've ordered my API Master Test Kit, got a bogwood with a plant already attached and some moss balls, I haven't even got fish in yet.. or finished adding plants etc lol

Prime is the way to go, you might have to get it online as not many shops in the UK stock Seachem products - 5ml or one cap full will dechloranate 200 litres, lasts for ages, I use a 1ml syringe to measure for my water changes, 0.3ml for about 12 litres. You can also use it in higher dosages in emergencies to handle high nitrites and nitrates.

Yeah, that would make sense as I've not seen any of this brand in any of my lfs. Cheers for the advice :)

I just learned that for us people doing smaller water changes, 2 drops per gallon. And warning, the stuff STINKS. That's normal.
Yeah, I may well end up posting for help nearer the time depending on the guidelines.. Nice to know it stinks! lol..

Tetra do a similar product in the UK but I have never tried it I use nutrafin. Since starting my first tank in April I have also purchased six 12 litre buckets from b&q not to mention a fuel siphon pump from halfords as you can attach a drill so no need to hold buckets up in the air as well as numerous scotch brite pads from my local hardware shop to clean the glass as they are soft enough not to scratch the glass. All this said the fish where quite cheap lol :)

I drain the tanks to the level I want, add Prime and then start filling the tank from the tap. I adjust the temp of the tap water with the faucets before pumping it in to get it as close to 80F as I can.

Oh yes the stuff does stink but once in the water no more stink. ;)

Back
Top Bottom