DECIDED, AM GOING TO GET A NEW "BIGGER" TANK (advi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

felipe

Aquarium Advice Regular
i decided to get a bigger tank. I have 5 pretty big goldfish and a tadpole in a 10 gallon. look kind of uncomfy soo i guess i will upgrade to some better equipment based on Loganj advice. but i wanna know what kind of stuff i should get for a 20-30 gallon tank. What kind of filter is going to be the most efficient? do i need any oof that extra stuff for nitrate levels and temp. or anything? if anyone has any advice, it would be appreciated. sorry loganj i don't have room for a 55-70 gallon tank for 5 goldfish. 30 is the best i can do for em'. they'll survive. i hope :?

by the way, the best site ever, EVER!
www.homestarrunner.com[/url]

Goldfish in general are 'messy' fish. This means they produce more waste than other fish with that body mass. Since they do best in coldwater I dont think you need a heater.

The best advice I can give is to get the largest tank you can afford and also put in your space.

can anyone give me any advice on what kind of filter or nitrate level monitor i need?

Aquarium pharmaceuticals makes a test kit that contains a bunch of tests, ph, ammoni, nitrit, nitrate and prolly some others. thats a good kit to get.

Cople things here about a new tank, check the classifieds of your local paper, you may find some good deals for used stuff, also those little papers at convience stores, Pennysaver and stuff like that, they frequntly have aq supplies in there, good prices.

My newest filter is a HOT (Hang On Tank) Magnum, this thing is really good and would be great for a 30 gallon. There are a lot of filters on the market that would work for you though, not just this one.

just bring a sample of your water to the petstore and theyll test it for free without you having to spend $30 on a test kit, and theyll tell you what to do to get your levels going good. If your just getting a normal aquarium, get a power filter.

its not always the size, its the fish in it. if in this case getting a bigger aquarium will make for more healthy fish, then that is gooood. bra.

what you could do is get two small aquariums. I doubt that would work though, big aquariums are much easier in a way, because you have more time to correct problems and just one small thing wont mess up the balance like in a 10 gal. just an option though, cause it would take up less space. plus you could be pretend to be a badass by telling people that you have 2 aquariums.

One thing that larger tanks give you is more stable water conditions. When the body of water is larger the changes in water conditions happen slower. In small tanks the water chan change litrally over the course of an hour.

In reality the larger the tank the easier it is to maintain.

A couple of comments:

1. You WILL need a heater. Tadpoles typically do best in water temps around 80F, but will do fine in 76F.

2. Don't forget, if your tadpoles start to become a frog, you will need some sort of dry land.

Hm, well then arnt the tadpole and the goldfish techniclly incompatable given that goldfish are a coldwater fish?

haha i dunno fishfreak, it's worked for like 5 months hahaha it's growing!

i think fishfreek has a logical idea. seeing as how one is a coldwater and the other a warmwater. but i guess whatever works.........

Congrats felipe,
Glad to hear you are getting a bigger tank. I think I already posted it in the other string about this subject, but my opinion is, for the money $40 plus shipping at bigalsonline.com the Emperor 400 is a great filter.

Back
Top Bottom