Decision time, White Fin Rosy or Red Minor Serpae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rallykid

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I currently have a 30 gallon tank setup with the following occupants.

2 Bala Sharks
2 Iridescent Sharks
5 Black Skirt Tetras
1 surviving Tiger Barb that schools with the Tetras
1 Pleco
3 Kuhli Loaches
1 Male Betta

Everything in the tank gets along fine with no conflict or nipping. All of my fish are small currently with the Betta being the largest thing in the tank.

I want to add a Dwarf Gourami so the Betta will be getting his own 3 or 5 gallon tank to prevent any conflicts there. I also know that the Iridescent and Balas get huge so they are moving to a 55 gallon when they outgrow the current setup and then into an even larger setup when our basement finishing project is done.

I am thinking of adding another schooling species and was thinking either 6 White Fin Rosy Tetras or 6 Red Minor Serpae. Any thoughts on which of these would go better with my tank or if either would be a bad choice?

I am getting back to keeping aquariums after about 15 years of not having one but never kept Tetras before so I am quite unfamiliar with them. I have been reading a lot of info but wanted the opinions of the hive here as there is a huge wealth of information available from the members here.

Your input is greatly appreciated and I thank you.

Last edited:
After doing more research I am finding that A lot of Tetra species will school together. Would it be possible to do 3 and 3 and have then get along in the same tank? Would they possibly school together?

I have zero experience with these 2 particular species so any input would be helpful.

I would not add anymore fish to your current setup. The stocking is on the high side as it is. Wait until you get the 55 before adding anymore fish.

When the time comes I would add the serpaes as they are nippy and so can the black skirts be. The rosy tetras are a much more placid tetra. It is quite possible the tetras would school together. No guarantees as every fish is different.

Thanks for the input. Actually I have another tank that is cycled so I moved some occupants around last night out of my 30 gallon to make more room. I have another complete 29 setup that I need to get out of storage and get that setup and cycled as well and then the next project is the 55.

Back
Top Bottom