Decor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rockyofhockey

Aquarium Advice Addict
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394029295.830353.jpgcould I put this reptile decor into my fish tank? I fell like my bichir an pitcus catfish well like it but not sure if it's safe.

The 1st pic is safe but it WILL leak tannins so boil it and soak it a lot and the second pic is made of resins which is safe

The 1st pic is safe but it WILL leak tannins so boil it and soak it a lot and the second pic is made of resins which is safe

Ok thx u sooo much I really don't mind that tannis cas it's harmless if I'm correct. I like the first one better cas it looks mor natural, but was just worried it could hurt the fish

Nope it's safe but make sure if there are screws, you replace them with stainless steel ones

Nope it's safe but make sure if there are screws, you replace them with stainless steel ones

Ok but I don think there will be since it's just one piece of driftwood. But I'll double checj

Only reason I say that is because those are for reptiles but can be used in aquariums as well but some are pieced together with screws. I use to look at them every day when I worked there

Only reason I say that is because those are for reptiles but can be used in aquariums as well but some are pieced together with screws. I use to look at them every day when I worked there

Ok thx again jwh. I'll be sure to check. And for the future are really any reptile decor safe for the tank?

I can't say yes or no but I imagine most are considering they are for reptiles and amphibians

If the decoration is just pure wood, yes, it's safe. Reptile logs are heat treated though, so they usually will take a LOT of boiling and or general soaking to get waterlogged enough to sink. I had to boil one of the Petsmart reptile driftwoods on and off for 3 days straight, and even then it still took couple days to finally stay sunk without being weighted down. You'll also tend to get bacteria bloom in the form of a clear slime that can be unsightly, but it goes away within a week or so. Some snails, shrimp, and fish may eat the slime, but if not it can be scrubbed off pretty easily.

Back
Top Bottom