Decor in a 55 gal tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have two 55g fancy goldfish tanks and they will really look bare without it. But no you don't have to have it. I tried a few different ways but the one I like best and helped keep the water quality the best (besides 50% WC's weekly) was going with Eco complete substrate a piece of driftwood that was tall but narrow that I would put against the back of the tanks where the goldies couldn't get stuck then add java ferns and anubia's. I then got some special rubbery plant anchors from Aquarium Plants.com and put in a couple swords, crypts (which they leave these alone) and in the substrate I put some narrowleaf temple, ambulia, and dwarf sag which they can munch on when the fancy strikes them. I do have to replace nibbling plants but have a supply in another tank. The other second choice was a bare bottom tank with a nice piece of driftwood and a few silk plants siliconed on. That tank was easy to keep clean! And at least had a little decor to spice it up.

No, its not necessary. Many people keep barebottomed/decor-free goldie tanks & tubs simply because they are easier to clean and maintain and theres no risk of injury. Its really your personal preference but I do think my guys like hiding in the plants. If you do add decor, just make sure it isnt sharp, pointed or jagged and theres nothing for them to get stuck under, in or behind (because they will!). :)

I had decor in there at the beginning but it was turning my water green faster so i took it out

Back
Top Bottom