Decorating ideas for fancy fantail and moors?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am not sure what they prefer, but I can suggest some things to avoid...anything that is sharp or spikey, especially plants. Moors WILL find a way to poke themselves in the eye with everything possible, and fantails will get their tails caught and torn. Just go for rounded edges on everything.

Also, do not get any hollow ornaments that they can try to get into. Because they will try, and then get stuck.

o ok well i have a bubble decoration not sharp and a couple silk plants with big leaves and a massive cave i can fitt my whole arm in cause my fantail loves it but the moor dosent bother with it

glassbird said:
I am not sure what they prefer, but I can suggest some things to avoid...anything that is sharp or spikey, especially plants. Moors WILL find a way to poke themselves in the eye with everything possible, and fantails will get their tails caught and torn. Just go for rounded edges on everything.

Also, do not get any hollow ornaments that they can try to get into. Because they will try, and then get stuck.

+1

My Moors were scraping themselves silly with a Hoi Toi statue from petco. Now it decorates our guest bathroom lol.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium Advice App

o ok well i have a bubble decoration not sharp and a couple silk plants with big leaves and a massive cave i can fitt my whole arm in cause my fantail loves it but the moor dosent bother with it

A large cave with a big opening will probably be ok. I had a ceramic stump that had a large opening that I thought was allright...until one of my smallest fish vanished. I pulled the stump out to see if he had died in there, and found that he was stuck headfirst in a small opening inside the stump that went up into a "branch". It was only about 2 inches deep, but was exactly the width of his body...and he stuffed himself in there! I was able to pull him out, and he survived, but he was never really right again after that. He died about 6 months later.

I filled that opening with a big squirt of silicone, and it has not been a problem since.

...and ironically, this morning at feeding time I noticed that the smallest of my 6 ryukins was missing. After several minutes of visual searching, I saw him stuck between the back wall and the intake pipe to the filter. He managed to drag a piece of plastic plant into the space between the wall and the intake...he could have reversed himself out if it was just the smooth wall and pipe, but by adding the plant he was jammed in good and tight.

That was very creative, I must say. I eased the intake pipe away from the wall and he (and the plant) floated free. He is fine, so far. Mostly annoyed that he missed a meal. Good grief.

lol silly fish i know all about missing a meal my moor goes crazy he will repeatedly smack into his feeding ring untill i notice that sometimes can last an hour sometimes

glassbird said:
...and ironically, this morning at feeding time I noticed that the smallest of my 6 ryukins was missing. After several minutes of visual searching, I saw him stuck between the back wall and the intake pipe to the filter. He managed to drag a piece of plastic plant into the space between the wall and the intake...he could have reversed himself out if it was just the smooth wall and pipe, but by adding the plant he was jammed in good and tight.

That was very creative, I must say. I eased the intake pipe away from the wall and he (and the plant) floated free. He is fine, so far. Mostly annoyed that he missed a meal. Good grief.

My young (smaller) fancy did that between a bunch of plants, DW and the corner of the bottom of his tank last week. He was jammed in there good and the look in his eye was, GET ME OUT OF HERE!! lol Seems OK so far :).

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium Advice App

Back
Top Bottom