Decoration Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sidsam

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey people.... I have a decoration in my tank, it looks like a rock formation and is made out of plastic or resin or something similar. It's hollow and in order to get it to sit on the bottom, not float up, I have to invert it let it fill with water and then put it in place. I got to wondering about that cup or two of water now trapped inside. Will that cause a problem in the tank? It's not filtered or moving in any way, so I'm thinking that the water quality inside would have to deteriorate over time. What think ye?

charlie

I will follow this as I have always wondered the same thing . I use to just take the deco out and refill it every other wc or so .

I have a similar decoration in my 55 gal. I take it out with every water change, rinse it it the runoff bucket, and replace it. It's about 12 oz of water out of 47 gallons or so (6000 oz). I don't think that small of an amount will make a huge difference. Even if it was my 20 gal tank, it's still 12 oz out of 2300 oz, which is less than 1/2 of 1% of the total water. It's not going to make a difference in total tank parameters. Now, if my dojo gets in there, well, he'll get a little dizzy.

Can you drill a few holes on the top and get an air stone inside? that would get the water moving...

Back
Top Bottom