Decoration Smells AWFUL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Helyanwe

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was cleaning my 75 gallon tank today and one of my convicts had some free swimming babies, so I had to pull her "home" out of the water to get to them to remove her and her fry.
Well I pulled out, what is a tree stump decoration, and i smelled this awful smell coming from the inside of it. I dont know how else to describe it, but it smelled like poo. I tried googling it, and people mentioned rotten egg smells.. but thats not it.
The smell was now on my hands and i leaned over the tank and I could smell it in the tank. Which I couldnt before I pulled it out.
Now im not sure how to feel about this, obviously thats not normal, however, she did just spawn inside of that tree stump... is it possible the eggs could of caused this? Anyone have any ideas?

Javel bleach

Sometime, biofilm and algae can smell terrible. You can use bleach to clean your decoration. Make sure you rinse properly. If your decoration smell bleach after rinsing, rerinse it.

If you cannot make it stop smell bleach, you can use a little tap water with dechlorinator and soak decoration into. Worked for my lava rock that had bad smell and green color.

DON'T put it back in your aquarium if it smell bleach, this can result to nothing to some fish death and/or cycle breaking.

DON'T do anything if this is not a plastic or rock decoration, I don't know what this would do, in this case, wait for another advice :)

Back
Top Bottom