Decorative Rocks stained from medicine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

javash

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello. I have searched the forum and see that others have asked similar questions, but I could not find the specific answer I am looking for. I used Fungus Clear to treat a sick fish, and didn't think to remove a few white decorative rocks. Now it is stained blue/purple. I took them out, soaked in 10% bleach solution, but they're still stained.

The $1.99 neon died anyway, poor guy. ..And now I'm left with expensive, ugly, purple rocks.

Advice or can you point me in the right direction if this has already been answered? Thank you.

If bleach did not remove the stain, unfortunately, your stuck with it. Not thinking, I once dumped a bucket of meth blue in my white kitchen sink.... it took 2hrs of scrubbing with comet mixed with pure bleach to get the blue stains off. Maybe someone has another idea!

If the rock is porous it may never be white again due to the rock absorbing the medicine into it porous structure. Sorry to have to say that. You can try a stronger bleach solution but honestly I doubt it will do any good.

I guess I will count my blessings that it's only the rocks and not the sink too. Thank you both. Lesson learned the hard way here!

I had stained Aquarium sealant from fungus guard AND methylene blue. It was a 10 gallon tank, I took all the blue water out and rinsed once. then I put 2 full cups of bleach and then the water. let sit overnight, clean as a whistle. The whole shower was cleaned as well.

Back
Top Bottom