decorative rocks to add to tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spyyro

Aquarium Advice Regular
I recently purchased a big bag of decorative rocks for my 75 gal fishtank. What kind of prep do I need to do with them before adding. Should I boil them for a bit or what? I'm not sure what type of rock it is but the bag says Mountain Cascade Rounds (bought from Lowe's). The bag says they're excellent for around garden ponds and waterfalls, accents for fountains and birdbaths, soil cover for potted plants and container gardens and for smooth unique garden walkways and paths. It says to rinse stones to bring out natural colors and wash thoroughly before adding to fish ponds. I'm assuming that means they're ok for my tank... correct? It says at the bottom of the bag they're Black Rock. I know nothing about what type of rock is ok for fish tanks but these seem to look ok. They're smooth and a darker blackish color. I think they'll look good mixed in with what I'm planning for my tank setup. Any suggestions or ideas? Thanks!

Since they're intended for ponds, I'd think that you would only need to rinse them well to remove dust and dirt. Boiling wouldn't hurt, but since they weren't collected recently from a local pond, there's almost certainly no nasties living in them.

Are they like these rocks?

img_788919_0_b60e1f06ab891a8e31b8dca2a3b1cb59.jpg

They call them Mexican Beach Stones and sell them at Home Depot. I just rinsed them and they were fine.

Hahaha.... yea, exactly like that. That's funny. That's the same theme I'm going for (Easter Island). I never even noticed the rocks like that in your tank. I think I saw that same picture in the "themed tank" post, I think, and instantly was convinced that's how I wanted my tank setup. I guess they'll be ok. I'm looking to possibly add some live plants to the setup. I just saw them at Lowe's the other day and thought they'd look good in there with the Maoi statues I have ordered and are on the way. Thanks for the info guys... I'll post some pics of my own once I get it all set up the way I want. I'm also looking into an underwater volcano that I'll place an airstone inside and I want to design an underwater red LED to go inside to make it look like it's erupting. Should look pretty cool, I think. Maybe even add some blue LED's to accent the statues. Thanks to all for the info!

It would be really sweet if you could drill out the eyes and put LED lights in them, but then I'd worry abou fish getting into the heads or scratching themselves on the drilled out portions if they're not smooth.

Actually that is a good thought. The company I work for throws a big Halloween party every year and I dressed as the Grim Reaper last year and did that sort of thing for the sickle I carried. It had a skull mounted on top and I drilled out and wired 2 red LED's inside the eyes and connected in a switch so I could turn them off and on with the push of a button farther down on the staff... looked pretty cool and I got lots of compliments. The fish wouldn't get inside because the holes I drill would be just the right size for the LED's to come through and no larger. I work as an Electrical Engineering Technician at a company that designs and manufactures coils for MRI machines so I work with this kind of stuff daily. (electronics that is... not just LED's). Good idea though... I'll see what I can do! I don't even have any of the items in yet, other than the rocks which I bought here. They are being mailed now, supposedly.

Actually I won't be making this myself as I've found that I can get exactly what it is I need for around $50. That's worth paying for instead of having to take the time and effort to make it all myself. Plus, the one I'd make would be battery powered and the setup I'm looking into is an AC powered plug in type.... so, I think I'll go that route instead! They won't be mounted inside the eyes but that's ok with me.

Back
Top Bottom