Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-31-2005, 10:26 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Freak

From what I understand, the chlorine, which is what you are removing mostly from the tap water, will not instantly kill the fish. So, treating the water after it is added or during (as in with the python) would be ok. I've been looking into buying python because I just got a 36 gallon. (doing water changes with a 10 gallon was much easier ). One lfs had one for 59.99 (the 25 foot). Big Al's sells the same one for 21.00, coming up to around 28 including shipping, more than half the price. Do people actually pay almost 60.00 for one of those? I couldn't believe it when I saw it. The same place also sold penguin biowheels that pump I think 100 gph for 40 dollars. I go there because they take good care of the fish, but I can't bring myself to buy anything else there, it is ridiculously overpriced.

Old 08-31-2005, 11:16 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sadly I fell victim to the $60 python. So yes, people do pay that much for it. It's kind of like buying the AP kit for $45 from the lfs versus the $16 from Big Als.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 11:28 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
I bought the python from Big Al's (and I LOVE it!) at half the price the lfs starting selling them for this week! I also bought some rock for the new tank at Bi Al's also at half the price of the lfs.

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 11:15 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Regular

So how do you deal with the temperature of the water that you're bringing in? Do you just ballpark it and rely on the heater to bring it to where it needs to be?
Old 09-01-2005, 02:33 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Adjust the temp on the faucet to the same temp as the tank. At first you can use a thermometer to check it. But after a while you will be able to guage it by touch.

55 Gallon Community
Old 09-01-2005, 02:45 PM   #26
AA Team Emeritus

Online is and probably always be cheaper than at the LFS. My Fluval 404 canister was purchased for $89.00 at Big Als. My LFS still has it advertised at $239.00 8O
Old 09-02-2005, 03:34 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
yep.. LFS is a racket on hardware..
online, mailorder.. do anything to avoid retail on hardware.. the tank is about the only thing that is worth getting on a retail level. shipping can be high on the tank depending on the size, but rarely you can get those for a little less..
and to the original question..
are you cycling with or without fish? and if without... are you using ammonia, shrimp, or fish food?
Old 09-02-2005, 10:34 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Skyrmir Send a message via AIM to Skyrmir
Quote:
When using it to vacumm the gravel does it remove water in that function?
Yup, only way to get suction is to remove water.

Deep gravel cleaning simply refers to sticking the end of the tube down into yoru gravel. It's not harmful to a cycle, but will slow it down.

Also the python is simply a hose with a waterbed filler/drain attachment already on it and a valve to stop the flow.

Question for those that use the python with the valve. My swordtails seem to think getting sucked up the intake is a wonderful game. Do you ever have trouble stopping the water with the valve before sucking up a fish? I constantly have to keep my thumb near the outlet of the hose so I can stop it quick enough. And even then I somtimes have to lift the hose to make it drain backwards shooting the fish back out of the inlet.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:11 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've never had a fish try to come towards the intake tube. I usually have to swat them away as they try to eat the fish waste as its being sucked up.

55 Gallon Community
Old 09-02-2005, 05:27 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Skyrmir Send a message via AIM to Skyrmir
That's what's wierd, it's not like they're interested in what's being sucked up. They litereally back into the tube. And it's just the swordtails too, all the other fish want nothing to do with the tube o doom.

Tags
gravel, gravel vac

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com