Deep Gravel Vaccum??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Criptos

Aquarium Advice Activist
When I do water changes I usually do Deep Gravel Vaccums, I have about 1 1/2 - 2' of gravel in the bottom of my tank. and would that disturb the Bacteria thats growing and slow down the cycle?!? I just thought of this since the Bacteria is not free floating and well yeah, hope this is not the case!

would that disturb the Bacteria thats growing and slow down the cycle?!?

nah coz it just removes the loose particals, theres probly still alot more of it still stuck to the gravel

It will slow down the cycle. Bacteria is forming in the gravel as well as in the filter. After the filter is established, then it isn't a problem.

Okay I guess I will stop the Gravel Vaccums for about 2-3 weeks, and the tank will have been running for a month asof Tuesday the Ninth.

Is Python a DGV? I use that semi weekly and shove it down into my 1 1/2-2 inch deep gravel and suck junk out of it. Is this considered Deep Gravel Vaccum?

Karen

The python is a device that you hook onto your kitchen faucet or garden hose or whatever water source you have that it will screw onto. You turn on the water and it will create a suction, removing water from the tank. At that point you do the gravel vacs. Then just turn the plastic piece on the base near the sink and it will start refilling the tank. VERY easy way to do gravel vacs and change water. No more hauling buckets.

I wish I could find a python close around here, no lfs sell them. Although a petsmart is opening up in a month and my brother in law is the store manager :lol: . So hopefully I can get one through him at a good price. I need at least 50' maybe.

Zagz said:
I wish I could find a python close around here, no lfs sell them. Although a petsmart is opening up in a month and my brother in law is the store manager :lol: . So hopefully I can get one through him at a good price. I need at least 50' maybe.
Stop! Do not pay retail! Get thee to Bigalsonline.com or petsoultions.com. Often, the money you save will cover the shipping. Think about all the other stuff you need, and order it all at once to increase the savings!

Wal-Mart also sells the Lee's Aquarium Brand (Which is what I have) and it is alot cheaper than the Python. Same product just different brand. It works great.

A question on using these to add water to your tank? This isn't a good idea correct? As it would be unfiltered/treated tap water.

When using it to vacumm the gravel does it remove water in that function?

Just as Rich said, not a problem adding it during or after water changes. I've been doing it this way for about a year and have never lost a fish from it yet.

Back
Top Bottom