Definition of blackout?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dora'sfishtank

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've read a lot about folks on here trying "blackouts" to combat algae. Is a blackout when you simply don't turn on the aquarium lights for a period of time, or when you totally cover up the tank with a towel or something? I need to get rid of this green algae. It makes my substrate and plastic plants look horrible. I have 1 cory and an apple snail in there, as well as a few guppies in my 10gal. I do weekly PWC's and have kept feeding down, but I'm sick of the substrate looking so gross.

Blackouts are usually only used for planted tanks (as you dont 'need' lighting to begin with on a non planted tank). Being that you have a non planted tank, the reason you have algae is almost certainly a combination of overfeeding and too much light. Cover it up, turn off the light, give it 5 days or so. Do a big PWC after 5 days. Remember to be careful about how long you keep your light on. I turn the lights on my non planted tanks on for about 15 minutes every other day (when I feed), or when somebody is coming over.

Back
Top Bottom