Defrosted blood worms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sicklid

Aquarium Advice Addict
So, there's no way my lone juvenile Betta can eat a whole cube... how long will they stay in tiny tupperware, sealed & refrigerated after they're thawed?

i just take a knife and chop off a corner, i never thaw the whole cube at one time...

once thawed i think they spoil very fast...:?

Try thawing out a few cubes,rinsing them then mixing them with ground up beefheart and spinach then re-freezing it in a flat slab (I just use a freezer bag) then break off however much you need whenever.

Dont know whether beefheart or spinach is appropriate for your type of fish though.I make a 'magimix' out of prawns,bloodworm and beefheart for my frogs.

First I put one block in a small tupperware container, and let it thaw. Then, I seperate out the worms (gross, but it saves me time later on) onto the "walls" of the container. I feed my bettas and put the container back in the freezer. Now, you have a container of frozen, individual worms that will last until they are all eaten. You just thaw them out one at a time with your finger right before you give them to the fish.

if you are just feeding them to one fish, then i would recommend getting the bloodworms that come in sheets. They are easier to break apart, IMO.

I usually just swish the food around in the tank until it thaws. Been doing it that way for about 2 months now with no ill effects. And if you get the sheets instead of the cubes, you can just break off what you need without thawing out too much.

I have heard that frozen foods loose their nutritional value once they are thawed and refrozen. I have heard that once you thaw it out, you should feed it, and not to refreeze it (got this advice from people on here when I asked about it).

HTH, your betta will appreciate the frozen bloodworms.

Oooh, very interesting. I've never heard that food looses some nutrients when you thaw and re-freeze. Good to know that my clever system isn't so clever afterall...

Yeah you should never refreeze any meat food.

That's why if you freeze chicken and then defrost it you have to use it then.
If you freeze it again you can get sick.

I agree on the sheets vs cubes - its much easier to scrape off a few BWs from the sheet. The longest I've held thawed BWs in the fridge is 12 hrs - they start getting mushy after that.

Yea, I use the cubes myself, just because they seem to last longer for me, but I am feeding 9 tanks, so I go through foods pretty quickly. I tried out the sheets at first, and those are great for my three betta tanks, but not so practical for my piggy barbs and angels. So now when I feed frozen, I get the cubes, and I will seperate a small portion off the cube once it is thawed and give it to my bettas. They love it! I don't waste any food, and I go through it much slower (and my pocket book appreciates that :D )

i have used both, and seem to get a better reaction from the frozen. Plus that, i get to feed the fish by hand with the frozen with the way i feed it.

It is really nice to have a school of 16 tiger barbs nibbling right out of your fingers. I can hand feed all of my fish with the right type of food, even my clown loaches will come up to take a bite out of my fingers before the stuff hits the bottom of the tank for them.

Back
Top Bottom