Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-04-2005, 09:25 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to RyanChance Send a message via MSN to RyanChance Send a message via Yahoo to RyanChance
Demon Gourami

I had a blue powder gourami (about 2-3") in a 5 gallon tank with a very young red-finned shark. These are the fish I replaced my old ones with after my friend killed all of mine (and it was HORRIBLE -- not for the faint of stomach) over Christmas.
Anyway, the two fish got along quite well for the past four months -- no aggression ever. Then this weekend I woke up one morning to find my shark dead. Not just dead but mostly eaten. Gouramis aren't supposed to eat other fish as I understand it. Kill them maybe -- but consume them?
Anyone have any similar experiences? This summer I am getting a 30 gallon tank after I put down a wood floor but I am actually worried this fish will do that again and then it's not just a territory issue. At that point would it make sense to put it down since it can't live with anything?

-C-

Old 04-04-2005, 10:27 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to RyanChance Send a message via MSN to RyanChance Send a message via Yahoo to RyanChance
I realize it seems crazy to theorize on an evil fish but it ate the shark. It was missing a lot of flesh and half its face (I've never seen a fish get mutiliated like that).
Is this normal behavior for a gourami?

Old 04-04-2005, 10:38 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think most fish will pick at the flesh of a dead fish, I know I have seen it before. But I can't say for gourami.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:39 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to dr_girlfriend
Thats normal behaviour for most (if not all) fish. Even goldfish pick and eat at the dead. I don't know if your gourami killed your shark, but I'm not suprised at the scavenging.

We weep for the bird's cry, but not for the blood of a fish. Blessed are those who have voice.

Pinky: "What are those Brain?" (pointing to a group of people protesting)
Brain: "People without jobs Pinky."

N. California aquarium maintenance, scuba certification, and boat services.

Need computer services in N. California? Click here!
dr_girlfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 10:44 PM   #5

I am pretty sure he killed it. The shark was perfectly healthy before that (good color, active, ate plenty). Maybe it was just scavenging but I get the feeling that the gourami killed that fish to eat it. Sounds weird but maybe. I've thought about buying a danio or something else similar in size to the shark (preferably cheap) to use as a test. If it were to turn up dead and ripped apart I'd know.
And yet somehow it seems like cruelty if the gourami takes the bait. Would it be unethical to sacrifice a smaller fish to it just to see what happens?
Old 04-04-2005, 11:14 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to dr_girlfriend
How big is your tank? Do you have any other gouramis? Is the demon fish a male? He may have killed it if they are in a very small tank. Gouramis are territorial, especially around other gouramis and their bubble-nests. (I have been learning this with my male and female). My male chases and nips at anything that comes close to him or his nest.

We weep for the bird's cry, but not for the blood of a fish. Blessed are those who have voice.

Pinky: "What are those Brain?" (pointing to a group of people protesting)
Brain: "People without jobs Pinky."

N. California aquarium maintenance, scuba certification, and boat services.

Need computer services in N. California? Click here!
dr_girlfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 11:54 PM   #7

It's a five gallon hex -- I think it's a male gourami because of the thin sides and he was with a red-fin shark (little one).

Tags
gourami

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com