Denison Barbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
anniem said:
I have 3 that I bought this past weekend. Pet smart for $6. So far I love them! They school with my rainbows and sometime school with my lampeye teras! They are still small though.

Give them a couple of months ... Hopefully, buy now their colors shouldn't be as muted.

Mayanearth said:
Were the ones you get at Petsmart healthy and high quality?

The ones at my petsmart seem fairly healthy ... Muted in color, but no signs of illness. Course, that's my petsmart ... Can't speak for yours.

I bought mine from Petsmart I have a 60 gallon and I have six of then with 6 Cory cats, one angelfish two Bolivian rams and a clown pleco. They are beautiful and are doing great. Eat well on flakes and bloodworms. They also try and eat the sinking shrimp pellets I feed my Cory's.

I will post some pictures on Saturday. You'll have to wait till then. Sorry.

I'd say give them a week to get more comfortable and hopefully liven up their colors. Went by my petsmart and saw just two in their tanks... Was real tempting... But I resisted.

Can't wait to see!

Oh, I forgot to mention, I got 5 of them, the largest 2 1/2 inches and the smallest about an inch. Will the difference in their sizes be problematic?

Shouldn't be an issue ... give them the week to settle in and you'll see if the smallest gets picked on. With TigerBarbs that could Happen, but Denisons are much more peaceful.

Are they still on the endangered species list? Last I heard they weren't being successfully captive bred.

SolvingNormal said:
Are they still on the endangered species list? Last I heard they weren't being successfully captive bred.

Last I've read is they are listed as an endangered species ... Though how well they are captive breed is a source of debate. ... IMO. I've read they are being breed in ponds and also read breeders are not successfully breeding them.

This is a really bad camera, but these are some of the Denisons.

Attachments

• image-2924818490.jpg
    image-2924818490.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 115
  • image-32794850.jpg
    image-32794850.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 117
jcolon said:
Your welcome .... BTW ... They may look muted in color and not very impressive ... Once they get comfortable and are maintained well, you'll come to appreciate their colors. Here's a pic of mine.

Lovely specimens!

I love all my fish, but the Denisons are one of my favorites. A list below,

Striped peacock eel
Denison Barb
Bolivian Ram
Black Moscow Guppy
Purple Snowflake Guppy
Angel Fish
Celestial Pearl Danio
And almost any Killifish or Pleco.
What are your favorite fish Jcolon.(and anybody else.)

In my tank ... Funny enough ... my two Green TB's are my favorite, always have been, followed by my Denisons second and my male Black Ruby Barb third.

BUT outside my tank, like when I go to LFS's, it's Denison barbs I always look for and most enjoy watching most. Rummynose & cardinal tetras tied for second and regular TigerBarbs third. Get this ... Though ... I don't care for Green TB's at LFS's as much as mine because LFS Green TB's are never as DARK green as mine.

Back
Top Bottom