Denison Barbs in a 50

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
maybe an Australian, or if i have to ill go smaller
like a small school instead of cichlids
are there any that are more slim than tall? ive only just started researching them

I can't really speak for how they'll fare in your setup as I only have experience with them in a more peaceful setting, but I really liked dwarf neon rainbows when I had them, and they were idiotproof enough to put up with the mistakes I made when I was still just a novice. Theyre active and colorful, I would highly recommend them if you can find them.

My rainbows are kinda jerks and need the length like denison's. I have Australians which are a bigger - dwarfs should work

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

My rainbows are kinda jerks and need the length like denison's. I have Australians which are a bigger - dwarfs should work

What kind of rainbow do you have? My dwarf neon rainbows were pretty active, and occasionally nippy, but never excessively so. I had them with plenty of different peacful community fish and they never caused a real problem, mostly just kept any pestering within their school. And they seemed to thrive even in the cramped confines of a 26 gallon bowfront- only a 60x37.5 footprint. I think that dwarf neons would do really well in a 50 and you could probably have a sizeable school.

Just plain Australians. Mine are spazzes for food and fairly aggressive when eating. I have to put food for them on one side then something else on the other side when they are occupied.

They are a trio. 1 m and 2 f

Dwarfs? Huh I was thinking like the axelrodi if I could find any, but if dwarfs are better than I guess I'll get those. The males are the slimmer ones right?

The dwarfs have really cool fins. I wish I had gotten those instead of Australians

Ok then, are they some what thin. I really like the rainbows when they're thinner. Or which one is slimline. If I can't get the denisons, then I want to get something colorful and similar.

The neon dwarf rainbowfish/praecox rainbowfish are quite slim and have a shimmery light blue color with red fins.

yeah, i like the look of the dwarfs, if only i could find them without ordering online...
so, along with a rainbow shark, and some barbs, could i put anything else, or am i maxed?

yeah, i like the look of the dwarfs, if only i could find them without ordering online...
so, along with a rainbow shark, and some barbs, could i put anything else, or am i maxed?
Kinda depends on how many rainbowfish you add and how many/what kind of barbs.

well, i was thinking of the odessa barb (that is if i can find any) like maybe 5, and 4 rainbowfish, along with my shark

Well I would add at least 5 rainbowfish. But yeah that's actually pretty lightly stocked, you could definitely add more fish

really, maybe not getting denisons wasnt too bad of a turnout, but could i add maybe some swordtails, or a siamese algae eater or even a raphael?

I would stay away from algae eaters. The only forseeable problem with swordtails is that barbs and rainbowfish can be nippy and might go after the swordtail's tails.

They can get super aggressive and kill other fish! They're rather mean and there are like 3 species - Siamese algae eater, flying fox, and false Siamese algae eater that all look the same and a lot of pet stores don't really know the difference/sell them as the nice ones

If you were looking for something for algae I would suggest Otos! I think they are really cute. Or go with a flag fish or the more odd group- snails and amano shrimp

The thing is that I kept Otos before, and that didn't go very well. They wouldn't eat the wafers I gave them, and I usually don't know where they are.
Plus since I have a rainbow shark, I don't think it'll go too well, but that was just my experience. What about the Raphael?

Well if you're looking for algae consumption, a raphael won't help you there. And although I've never had one, I've been told that they tend to hide so much that you might never see them. Other than that, it would be fine as far as getting along with tankmates and fitting in the tank goes.

Back
Top Bottom