Denison Barbs in a 50

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Perentie1

Aquarium Advice Regular
hello, ive been planning to get a 60 gallon and put several of these beauties in it, however, due to size restrictions, i am unable to get this tank and, from what ive heard i shouldn't put them in this tank.
is 36 inches really that small, could i put like 5 in there, or would it just be too cruel.

hello, ive been planning to get a 60 gallon and put several of these beauties in it, however, due to size restrictions, i am unable to get this tank and, from what ive heard i shouldn't put them in this tank.
is 36 inches really that small, could i put like 5 in there, or would it just be too cruel.
A really good reason not to get denison barbs is they are overexploited in their native habitat and considered endangered. Their populations have decreased by around 70 percent in just the last 20 years.

I realize, which is why I want to make sure they would have a good life. I'm pretty sure the ones im a gonna buy r captive bred.

Your tank is on the small side for them, and unless you're 100% sure theyre captive bred I would just find something else. Most of the ones for sale are still wildcaught.

im gonna get them at my lfs(petco) so im pretty sure they're captive
i mean, i also have a rainbow shark, which makes me more reluctant

im gonna get them at my lfs(petco) so im pretty sure they're captive
i mean, i also have a rainbow shark, which makes me more reluctant
As I said, most of them are imported from the wild. Captive breeding has only begun recently and is only a small part of the import. Unless you can actually find out the source of the fish, I would do the ecologically responsible thing and not buy them.

ok, im gonna try to be one of the few good aquarium owners like you and find out their origins :). if they do happen to be captive bred, could i get like 5?

I am pretty positive petsmart is captive bred. I asked when I got mine and they told me they were and that like 90% of them are. (Really hoping they were right on that)

That said they are my favorite fish ever. I love them :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

ok, im gonna try to be one of the few good aquarium owners like you and find out their origins :). if they do happen to be captive bred, could i get like 5?
My experience with Denison barbs was when I met a guy in 7th grade at the all-aquarium catfish convention who I guess was good friends with the owner of the best LFS in my area. They were $40 apiece but he told me to mention his name to the LFS owner and get a school of them for free. I put 5 in a 55 and they seemed to do pretty well, but they were the only midwater fish in the tank; everything else in the tank was various loaches growing out before I moved them into a 150. That was a 4 foot tank though, not a 3 foot tank. I would say try and get a 55 if you can, or get a 50 gallon with a 4 foot length. They do really need the swimming room; they're very active.

I am pretty positive petsmart is captive bred. I asked when I got mine and they told me they were and that like 90% of them are. (Really hoping they were right on that)

That said they are my favorite fish ever. I love them :)

I still harbor a ton of guilt because I got mine before they were ever successfully captive bred, and the high price tag means they were surely wildcaught and imported. And they got wiped out by ich along with all of my loaches. I killed an endangered species.....

Aside from that guilt, though, they are REALLY fun fish. If the ones for sale are captive bred I can't recommend them enough. I was under the impression that most are still imprted but if that's no longer the case then that's fantastic!

I agree with getting a bigger/longer tank. Mine love racing back and forth. :) mine also go crazy for brine shrimp once in a while. And one of mine likes to photobomb pics ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412209191.074972.jpg

I was trying to get a pic of the new bamboo shrimp behind him on the filter

I was originally getting a 60 gallon, but due to size restrictions of the 48 inches I was unable to. I was wondering if I could still fit them into a 3 foot, but I don't want to kill a bunch of fish that are already endangered.

I was originally getting a 60 gallon, but due to size restrictions of the 48 inches I was unable to. I was wondering if I could still fit them into a 3 foot, but I don't want to kill a bunch of fish that are already endangered.
If the size restriction is on feet and not gallons, then yeah, I would say a 3 foot tank is no good. I don't necessarily think you'd kill them in a 3 foot tank, they just wouldn't be very happy.

Rosey barbs might be an option too- they have a pretty red color similar to the Denison stripe :)

Yeah, I was planning to get a different barb, along with a rainbow shark and some cichlids and if possible a gourami. Not sure if my LFS has them. The one of the reasons I wanted them was because of their shape. So cool.

I really like the whole barb family. They are all really energetic and colorful

Back
Top Bottom