depressed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

platybreeder26

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have been having troubles, my tank isnt anything like I imagined. I added in guppies and tetras and they all died except for one. When I added in two more male freindd for my guppy , he started brutally attacking them, and its depressing having to watch that. I cant sleep, ive been crying, I am not hungry for cinnamon rolls and last night I felt like throwing up. How can I make the agression stop, and how can I feel not depressed?

I felt the same way about my 20 gallon, so I just started over. I chose new plants and fish, and I'm now in the process of rescaping. I feel a lot better about it now. I hope you do too!

You make the aggression stop by removing the aggressor. If a human cant stop murdering people you dont keep putting more people in a cell with him hoping it will work out.

As for the depression, you have to distance yourself from tour fish a little bit. Yes, its sad when they die but you just have to be secure in the knowledge that you did everything you could for them. With that knowledge you can be sure that you did everything you could and nothing could have been done to prevent the death. If you cant have that assurance and distance i honestly think fish keeping moght not be the best choice in hobby for you because that much of an emotional connection gets to be very harmful down the road.

I have been having troubles, my tank isnt anything like I imagined. I added in guppies and tetras and they all died except for one. When I added in two more male freindd for my guppy , he started brutally attacking them, and its depressing having to watch that. I cant sleep, ive been crying, I am not hungry for cinnamon rolls and last night I felt like throwing up. How can I make the agression stop, and how can I feel not depressed?

As stated, you can't always stop the aggression with additional fish but you can by removing the aggressor. That said, in order to have a great experience in fish keeping, it's best to have a good understanding of what you want to eventually have in the tank when fully stocked ( and if they will live peacefully together), the proper order in which to place them in the tank, knowledge of their basic or special needs and proper maintenance of the aquarium. All these things together usually end up with a great experience in fish keeping. Missing 1 or more of these steps usually winds up with bad experiences. Knowledge is everything! (y)

One thing you need to remember is that these are not human beings and as such, you can not use human emotions to make your decisions.:nono: In the case of your Guppy, the proper ratio is 1 male to 2 + females so if you only had 1 guppy in the tank and it was a male, you should not have put 2 additional males in the tank. This only works when you put all 3 males in the tank at the same time and their are no females present in the tank. If the one you had was a female, you should not have put 2 males in with her. If the one you had was a male and you put 2 females in with him, you may have had a totally different result and the loss of sleep and cinnamon rolls would not have happened. ;) (y)

Regarding your original Tetras and Guppies, not all Tetras are a good match with Guppies and this may have been part of your original problem. Personally, I don't keep any Tetras with any Guppies since most Tetras are known to nip fins and Guppies are most designed for their nice coloration and finnage. Not a good match in my opinion.

So, if I may suggest, spend some time online or reading aquarium books to better understand your fish's behavior before you start adding more fish. Know the habits of the particular fish and not just that they are " Community" Aggressive" "Schooling", etc. Not all community fish can live peacefully together just as not all aggressive fish need to be by themselves. When properly stocked, a full fish tank can be a very enjoyable thing to spend your time watching. :D (y)
Finally, please keep this in mind, fish do have a relatively short lifespan compared to other animals we keep as pets so while the loss of any pet is sad, you should not make it devastating. Even if you did everything right, it's still going to happen. You just need to do the best you can for your pets to give them the best possible life. :flowers:

Hope this helps (y)

As stated, you can't always stop the aggression with additional fish but you can by removing the aggressor. That said, in order to have a great experience in fish keeping, it's best to have a good understanding of what you want to eventually have in the tank when fully stocked ( and if they will live peacefully together), the proper order in which to place them in the tank, knowledge of their basic or special needs and proper maintenance of the aquarium. All these things together usually end up with a great experience in fish keeping. Missing 1 or more of these steps usually winds up with bad experiences. Knowledge is everything! (y)

One thing you need to remember is that these are not human beings and as such, you can not use human emotions to make your decisions.:nono: In the case of your Guppy, the proper ratio is 1 male to 2 + females so if you only had 1 guppy in the tank and it was a male, you should not have put 2 additional males in the tank. This only works when you put all 3 males in the tank at the same time and their are no females present in the tank. If the one you had was a female, you should not have put 2 males in with her. If the one you had was a male and you put 2 females in with him, you may have had a totally different result and the loss of sleep and cinnamon rolls would not have happened. ;) (y)

Regarding your original Tetras and Guppies, not all Tetras are a good match with Guppies and this may have been part of your original problem. Personally, I don't keep any Tetras with any Guppies since most Tetras are known to nip fins and Guppies are most designed for their nice coloration and finnage. Not a good match in my opinion.

So, if I may suggest, spend some time online or reading aquarium books to better understand your fish's behavior before you start adding more fish. Know the habits of the particular fish and not just that they are " Community" Aggressive" "Schooling", etc. Not all community fish can live peacefully together just as not all aggressive fish need to be by themselves. When properly stocked, a full fish tank can be a very enjoyable thing to spend your time watching. :D (y)
Finally, please keep this in mind, fish do have a relatively short lifespan compared to other animals we keep as pets so while the loss of any pet is sad, you should not make it devastating. Even if you did everything right, it's still going to happen. You just need to do the best you can for your pets to give them the best possible life. :flowers:

Hope this helps (y)
Well said, Mr. Andy.[emoji225]

I have to ask the obvious question. Was the tank ever cycled?

Not really relevant I think. Whether the tank was cycled or not only goes towards the death of the first fish. The OP was talking more about the issues of the new fish and their aggression towards each other. This goes to fish behavior more than tank's biological filter condition. :whistle:

One trick I've learned with helping in aggression is find a fish a little more aggressive to put it in its place. I had a Betta that attacked neon tetras so I added a gourami. I had guppies attack gobies so I added a molly. Now I have no problems. If a fish is in a hierarchy with absolutely no competition it'll harass others. But if you add something just as big they'll spend all their time establishing dominance over each other and leave the other fish alone.

Keep calm and drum on

4 years ago I didn't know anything about aquariums but i still got one they all died but one which is still with me today in a 40 gallon which is better than an overstocked, uncycled 10 gallon I'm sure you'll get through it and become a boss fish keeper

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom