DG Nippy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BettaGal

Aquarium Advice Addict
My flame DG, Torch, is really nippy today. I had him in the fry tank while I was waiting for my cory cats to spawn, which they haven't yet. They're figuring it out, I guess. I put him back in last night and he was stressed out but acting fine. Just glad to be home. Today, it's like he's stalking the cory cats just to nip at them. He isn't usually like this. Why would he start this up? Is it a water issue that I need to do another big water change already? What can I do to get him to stop and behave himself? Preferably without removing him, as he is a cunning little cheetah and takes over an hour to catch. Thank you!

I did at the same time I put the media from the fry filter in the big filter. And made a huge mess of the tank, proving I need to clean the filter again. Should I vacuum it all up right away? Or let it go for the night and do a big water change tomorrow to try and get those Cory cats in gear? What do you think?

Ok. I rearranged the tank, moved the caves around and twisted them in different directions. He was chill for a while, but he's back to being nippy. He will follow them around the tank to nip at them. He particularly has taken favor to the momma. He even just now went for her eye. I have turned the light off for the night, and hopefully that will help him calm down. Any advice on how to calm down a ticked of DG? The only time he was ever nippy before was when my now dead cory cat repeatedly hit him in the face, even hard enough to flip him upside-down. He would nip basically to say he's the boss and don't hit him. Absolutely no damage was done, except maybe to Spazzo's ego. I have no idea what has started this nipfest, but now he's going for eyes. Any ideas to chill him out?

Ok. I rearranged the tank, moved the caves around and twisted them in different directions. He was chill for a while, but he's back to being nippy. He will follow them around the tank to nip at them. He particularly has taken favor to the momma. He even just now went for her eye. I have turned the light off for the night, and hopefully that will help him calm down. Any advice on how to calm down a ticked of DG? The only time he was ever nippy before was when my now dead cory cat repeatedly hit him in the face, even hard enough to flip him upside-down. He would nip basically to say he's the boss and don't hit him. Absolutely no damage was done, except maybe to Spazzo's ego. I have no idea what has started this nipfest, but now he's going for eyes. Any ideas to chill him out?

May be he just wants to show them who's boss. I say wait a few days. If the nipping persists you can try something else..

I'm sorry to report that this exact thing happened to me, even down to the torment of the corydoras. I tried rearranging, lights off, the whole shmear. Eventually I had to take him back to the LFS - I value my cories too much to subject them to aggression. I hope your gourami has a better attitude after a few days.

I'm sorry to report that this exact thing happened to me, even down to the torment of the corydoras. I tried rearranging, lights off, the whole shmear. Eventually I had to take him back to the LFS - I value my cories too much to subject them to aggression. I hope your gourami has a better attitude after a few days.

He better, or it's back to the fry tank for some time-out for him. I'm happy to report that no one was nipped and stressed to the point of death last night. I was wondering with how bad he was. He's about to end up there. He's still hunting down my cory cats. I don't know what his problem is, but it better stop. He never used to be like this. He was a docile fish! The light's been on for maybe ten minutes and he's already chasing them. I even fed them all immediately after turning them on.

He better, or it's back to the fry tank for some time-out for him. I'm happy to report that no one was nipped and stressed to the point of death last night. I was wondering with how bad he was. He's about to end up there. He's still hunting down my cory cats. I don't know what his problem is, but it better stop. He never used to be like this. He was a docile fish! The light's been on for maybe ten minutes and he's already chasing them. I even fed them all immediately after turning them on.

Ugh! Mine was the same darn way! Perfectly normal, calm, peaceful fish and then one day, bam. Jerk. I moved mine to a fry tank too, and he never went back to his pleasant self. It's a shame because he was a lovely addition to the tank.

I don't know what his deal is, but he's going for eyes and gills this morning. He's in time-out now. If he does get rehomed, it'll be to my grandparents or to my best friend at home. I don't like how the fish store keeps a whole bunch of fish in the same tank, but that's why we buy them and give them peaceful homes. I don't know what I would replace him with, though.

So, Torch is in the fry tank currently, and it's possible that while he was out of the tank and while I was in class, they laid some eggs for me. I'm waiting for some confirmation, since I've never actually seen any fish eggs other than nerite eggs and caviar (ew), but if they really did lay eggs, then the eggs will be moved to the fry tank, and Torch will have to move again. I greatly desire to get rid of one plant I have because it is rather weak in the stem, so it falls into the middle of the tank and gets tangled in everything and gets caught in the filter, and I cannot for the life of me keep the darn thing planted. The crypt must stay for self-explanatory reasons, and the other plant is an anacharis. Any way I can keep his new aggression to a minimum until either he's fine again or he ends up becoming my grandparents' fish?

Back
Top Bottom