Diagram of FW chemistry - Gathering Data

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good stuff. You might want to add that a few more of those things can come from tap water.

Nitrate, ammonia, and Cl2 come to mind.

Tbonem ... THANK YOU ... this is EXCELLENT ! I've already referred to this thread a few times trying to figure all this out. I'd love to see it as a sticky

If anybody could help me fill in the missing points or help me add to my list, I would greatly appreciate it - see the edit of the original post to see what kinds of information I am trying to get.

:mrgreen:

I plan on moving ahead on my diagram/graphic idea and would like to make sure it is as complete as possible :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I found this thread a bit late, but thought I would contribute some additional information.

First it is highly debatable as to whether high levels of Ferts like Phosphates or Iron actually cause algae. There are several hobbiest that have run extremely high levels of both of these nutrients without ever inducing algae. Part of the EI dosing method assumes that it's only deficiencies that cause algae and not excess, so you make sure there is always plenty of all the nutrients available.

Another contributer to Ammonia production is plant decay.

Great work so far.

i think you should add in NH3 vs NH4 and the effects of changing PH during the time NH3/NH4 are present in the aquarium.

also a contributor to NO2 is a very high level of NO3.

O2 also gets used by the nitrifying bacteria.

BTW, thanks for posting this useful info.

EDIT:

NH3 is also produced by the dying of nitrifying bacteria.

Back
Top Bottom