Diagram of FW chemistry - Gathering Data

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tbonem91

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Edit
I want to revive this thread in hopes of getting some more clarification on some of the missing points as well as more in depth information on how some chemicals interact. If you see something missing, something that should be added or something that is off-base, let me know :)

In particular, I'd like to write some better "Notes" or "summary" for each chemical and measurement listed, especially concerning algae, disease and adverse effects to life in the aquarium
End Edit

Im sure these exist, but I wanted to make a completely comprehensive diagram of the chemistry involved in a FW aquarium. I figured I would ask here and see if there is anything major I am missing. For sake of text-based presentation on a forum, I'll just list the elements Ive identified and their "producers" and "consumers"

Let me know if I am missing anything or have some information wrong. :)

Scientific names, chemical formulas and specific ferts n such could be added I guess...

edited 4/26/06 - still some unfinished sections

edited 4/27/06 - added more information and added "levels" of 1 being trace, 2 being moderate and 3 being a major contributor.

edited 6/27/06 - added some more clarification on several sections

Contribution Amounts
1 - trace amounts
2 - moderate amounts
3 - major amounts

Important chemicals

Ammonia (NH3)
Ammonia is the chemical generated by the first stage of cycling and is directly related to how much waste your livestock produce. It is poisonous and while cycling a tank, should be monitored and lowered daily if fish are present in the system.

Producers: Fish waste [3], Decaying Food [2]
Consumers: Bacteria (nitrosomas) [3], Real Plants [2], Water Changes [3]

Ideal Level: 0
Notes: Considered toxic to fish at levels > 0.5 ppm.

NitrIte (NO2)
NitrIte is the chemical produced during the second stage of cycling a tank. It too is poisonous and should be monitored and lowered daily if fish are present during the cycling process.

Producers: Bacteria (nitrosomas) [3]
Consumers: Bacteria (nitrobacter) [3], Real Plants [2], Water Changes [3]

Ideal Level: 0
Notes: Considered toxic to fish at levels > 0.5 ppm.

NitrAte (NO3)
NitrAte is the chemical produced in the third and final stage of the cycling process. It is much less toxic to life and is an essential part of plant growth. Higher concentrations can be tolerated and in many planted tanks, the addition of NO3 via fertilizers is required.

Producers: Bacteria (nitrobacter) [3], Fertilizers [3], Tap/Well water [1]
Consumers: Real Plants [3], Water Changes [3], Algae [2]

Ideal Level: <10ppm unless planted
Notes: Considered toxic to fish at high levels. For planted tanks, 10-20 ppm is considered nominal.

Phosphate (PO4)
Phosphate is another chemical vital to plant growth but only in small quantities. Too much phosphate can cause algae blooms. It can be found in tap water as a biproduct of runoff from farms and other fertilized areas.

Producers: Fish Food [2], Fertilizers [3], Tap Water [1]
Consumers: Plants [3], Algae [3]

Ideal Level: 0 unless planted, < 2ppm otherwise
Notes: For a planted tank, should be kept around a 1:10 ratio in respect to NitrAtes. Too much can cause massive algae and too little will cause growth problems in plants.

Potassium (K)
Potassium is a chemical vital to plant growth and is typically found in tap water. It does not lead to algae problems and is not toxic to aquarium life.

Producers: Fertilizers [3], Fish food [1], Tap Water [1]
Consumers: Plants [3], Algae [3]

Ideal Level: Trace
Notes: Essential for planted tanks but reliable tests do not generally exist. Overdosing is a low risk.

Iron (Fe)
Iron is a trace metal usually found in tap water and is required in very small amounts for plant growth. Too much iron is directly related to algae problems/

Producers: Fish Food [1], Fertilizers [3], Tap Water [1]
Consumers: Plants [1], Algae (esp. Hair Algae) [2]

Ideal Level: Trace being 0.1-0.3 ppm
Notes: Trace element needed for plant growth but in high amounts will cause excessive algae growth.

Carbon Dioxide (CO2)
Carbon Dioxide is a natural biproduct of life form respiration. It is used as a Carbon source for plants and is typically added to tanks with high amounts of lighting. Like all water-bound gasses, CO2 levels will try to equalize with that of the air via Osmosis. Lowered surface agitation will limit the amount of off-gassed CO2.

Producers: Fish [2], Pressurized/DIY Injection [3] OR Surface Agitation* [1], Plants (Nighttime) [2], Tap Water [1]
Consumers: Plants (Daytime) [3], Algae [2], Surface Agitation *[1]

Ideal Level: Highly variable
Notes: For a planted tank, a level of or around 20-30ppm is generally recommended, but highly depends on light levels, plant species and water parameters. CO2 ppm can be determined by using a KH test combined with a PH test and using This Calculator

Oxygen (O2)
Oxygen is vital to all of the life we wish to keep in our tanks. Plants produce it during the day time but use it during the night. Low concentrations of Oxygen in the water will cause fish to gasp at the water's surface and could cause some to suffocate.

Producers: Plants (Daytime) [3], Tap Water [1], Surface Agitation* [2]
Consumers: Fish [3], Plants (Nighttime) [3], Surface Agitation [1]*

Notes: A heavily planted tank runs the risk of being deprived of O2 during the night, when both plants and fish are using it. This can be remedied by increasing the surface agitation at night by use of a bubble wand/stone set on a timer.

Calcium (Ca)
Calcium is a trace element that is requires by plants but moreso by snails and other invertibrates. Typically, Calcium is found in tap and well water and added into the system along with materials designed to increase the PH buffering capacity of the water.

Producers: Crushed Coral / Carbonaceous Rocks [3], Fertilizers [3], Tap Water (dissolved Limestone) [1]
Consumers: Snails [2], Plants [3]

Ideal Level:
Notes: Ca dosing is usually done when snails show signs of shell erosion.

Carbonate (CO3)
Carbonate is consumed by plants and is used as a PH buffer.

Producers: Crushed Coral / Carbonaceous Rocks [3], Baking Soda [3], Fertilizers [3], Tap Water (dissolved Limestone) [1]
Consumers: Plants [3]

Ideal Level: tied to the KH measurement
Notes:

*Surface Agitation: CO2 and O2 levels in the water will equalize with that of the air if given enough surface agitation to cause the gas exchange. When injecting CO2, this will work against you because it will be offgassing but at night you want increased gas exchange to replenish the water with O2.

Important Measurements

Alkalinity/Acidity (PH)
The PH measurement tells you how acidic (low) or basic (high) your water is, with 7.0 being neutral. Most fish require PH values in varied ranges but can sometimes, depending on species, live in a PH slightly outside their range if acclimated appropriately. In the end, a stable PH value is more important that a "perfect" value for your species selection. PH values should not be allowed to "swing" by large amounts either during the night or during water changes. In general, PH-altering chemicals are frowned upon by most hobbiests and natural methods of raising, lowering, or maintaining PH should be pursued.

Increase: Crushed Coral & Baking Soda [3] (by way of increased KH)
Decrease: Driftwood (Tannins) [2], CO2 Injection [3]

Ideal Level: Fish species dependant
Notes: low PH drops from injecting CO2 can be countered by raising KH to buffer the water. A raised KH raises the high and low ends of the PH swings (when they occur) and doesnt lower the total amount of change.

Carbonate Hardness (KH)
Increase: Crushed Coral & Baking Soda [3]
Decrease: Water Changes [3]

Ideal Level: minumum of 3 degrees when injecting CO2.
Notes: KH is a measurement of the concentration of CO3 and HCO3 in the water and acts as a buffer when injecting CO2.

General Hardness (GH)
Increase: See Ca, Fertilizers [3]
Decrease: See Ca, Plants [1]

Ideal Level:
Notes: GH is a measurement of the concentration of Ca and Mg in the water. Like KH, one can convert to degrees by dividing ppm by 17.9.

Great thread and post tbonem91

Potassium
Producers: Fish food

(per Diana Walstad, but this is low in concentration)

Maybe it should be made clear somewhere that "fertilizers" includes certain plant specific substrates.

I think it would be helful to expand on KH and include GH.

Calcium? and its close buddy carbonate?

I bet the planted tank owners would also add a whole bunch of other trace elements like magnesium. But I think calcium and carbonate would be major ones. Especially carbonate, for its impact on pH buffering.

As for your O2 plant will consume it as well after lites out and also you could add sulfur as alot of additives used in aquaria for plants come in the form of sulfates (potassium sulfate,iron sulfate,calcium sulfate and so on.) And also as for your CO2 for those of us who don't use CO2 devices and have low CO2 levels it can also be taken in by surface agitation rite out of the air that is if the CO2 levels are higher int the air than in the tank. Also CO2 is produced by plants after lites out as well,as they consume O2.
Also alot of your trace elements Fe,Ca,K and so on are present in fish foods but not in the concentrations found in most ferts or additives. So your list can go on and on.
If you wish your list to be less complex you could limit it to major comtributers only. Well good luck and good idea it should keep you busy.

It would be awesome to make a "food web" sort of diagram out of this....I'd be willing to do it, using the information presented here. Maybe it could be posted as a sticky? Everyone will need to be a little patient, though, as I have 4 days of PhD comprehensive exams next week. I'll write myself a note to remind me to do this after the exams are over (if I have any brain cells left).

thanks for the additions - I plan on doing more research and will probably limit it to the major and somewhat-major contributors.

The day/night cycle of plants wasnt something I thought about - I'll have to add that in.

I'd like to get all of the elements that are deemed important by most aquarists - which might make tacking down all the trace elements a bit tougher... :p

My idea is to make a large drawing, with arrow size reflecting amounts of contribution. I'm thinking of having popup information blocks for each item on the diagram and make it somewhat interactive once I nail down the details.

I'll try to update my first post some time later today.

If there is a high interest, I'll work on this a bit more at home and try to fast-track my web design for it.

I believe high concentrations of iron have been attributed to hair algae. I know when i over does flouish, the first thing i notice is hair algae on my filter return. Any comments?

Awesome, we needa get togehter I have a 60 inch color poster printer and about every photo and web page desigh program available lol, we could make some awesome posters and sell them lol

tropicfishman said:
Awesome, we needa get togehter I have a 60 inch color poster printer and about every photo and web page desigh program available lol, we could make some awesome posters and sell them lol

Ive got a (legit) copy of Adobe CS2 - fun stuff to play with :)

My original idea was an interactive webpage - but I guess with enough space to lay out everything, it could be turned into a poster... :0Þ

Man you are gonna have your hands full. I have sat and ponderd this stuff and an hour can go by and it seems like a minute. But it sounds like a great Idea. You might want to ask for some help or just keep it to yourself and save it for along winter project. If you want to go through with it ask for help I know I would like to help if I can.

my youth pastor, who's also a fellow fish enthusiast is a master at web design, he creates them from scratch and is a the head pc tech for the Ashland oil branch we have down here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent summary. A couple of small points:

pH - measures degree of acidity & alkalinity
Ca & CO3 (and HCO3) also comes in tap water (from dissolved limestone) - you can also add in "carbonaceous rocks" the "producer".
GH is a measurment of Ca and Mg level
KH is a measurement of CO3 & HCO3 level
GH & KH are tests rather than discrete chemicals - might want to lump those in with the appropriate chemicals
There is an ideal level for KH (minimum of 20-80 mg/l of CO3/HCO3) for pH stability.

You might want to research & add to your chart the relationship of CO2, HCO3/CO3 & pH.
A good start here: http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_co2chart.htm

General Hardness (GH)
Increase: See Ca, Fertilizers [3]
Decrease: See Ca, Plants [1]

Ideal Level:
Notes: GH is a measurement of the concentration of Ca and Mg in the water. Like KH, one can convert to degrees by dividing ppm by 17.9.

--

For Ca, it's not tied to KH since one can increase Ca without touching KH. (Via CaCl, for example.) They're both treated as traces with plants, and GH generally does not move much in a planted tank, and so I would call plant consumption for both [1] fwiw.

If need be, perhaps just touch upon the plant related stuff since specifics can be sorted out in the planted forum, especially if it helps with integrating your data into a chart.

Very informative post tbonem91. I have a friend who is trying to understand all this stuff and I am not the greatest at explaining so I will send your thread to him.

Back
Top Bottom