Diamond tetra gone crazy..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Impulse09

Aquarium Advice Freak
My tank is a 29 gallon planted. My stock is 1 bristlenose pleco, 1 blue ram, 1 dwarf guorami, 5 peppered cory catfish, 12 cardinal tetras, 3 redwag platties and used to be 6 diamond tetras now I am down to 3.

The big male diamond is killing all of them im pretty sure he took out 3 so far I know the one he killed this morning was a smaller male. I tried to catch him to get rid of him but he was to fast. I just don't want him to injure my other fish. I don't want to increase the school because I want other stock than the diamond tetras. Help!!

As strange as it sounds, I introduced a male & female swordtail to my tank & the guppies constantly harrassed them so had to re-home the guppies.

As hard as it may be, think getting rid of the tetra may be the best option.

Yeah I have to agree. I hate getting rid of fish but if it's for the best then do it.

I tried to catch him but he is pretty fast. Any tips on his to catch him?

Patience really, from my experience trying to catch 6 guppies in a planted tank, it can be frustrating.

Impulse09 said:
I tried to catch him but he is pretty fast. Any tips on his to catch him?

I didn't have the same type fish but I have two that are EXTREMELY FAST & like to hide, now my tank was only a 10g but I had to take everything out (deco's & plants). I used two fish nets, one to block them from going a certain direction & to help guide them into the other. It still took me a good 10 - 15 minutes to get each one netted.

Try it after lites out with a flashlight. Sometimes this trick works surprisingly easy and other times not so much.

Yep. I've had success doing this at "night" with some fish that I've spent days trying to catch. The only thing is you've only got about a 5minute window before the fish gets accustomed to the light and fully awake.

Just do a big water change! 50% or more. After you take out the water it will be easier to catch him. Also, I'm sure your other fish would like it too!

See if your lfs will take him, and probably the others too-- that's just kind of how diamond tetras behave once they start to mature.

LOL. IME they are a lot like Colombians or Buenos Aires- big, fast, and somewhat pugnacious.

severum mama said:
LOL. IME they are a lot like Colombians or Buenos Aires- big, fast, and somewhat pugnacious.

I had experience with Buenos Aires. I put a school in my tank and they nipped the heck out of every fish, especially my angel fish. I rehomed mine, although unfortunately they didnt get along with my oscar so well .... well unfortunately for them! Lets just say they had an average lifespan of 20 seconds after i rehomed them! ;)

About 5 years ago I had an Oscar and I got a Black Ghost Knife and he ate it. It was like a $16 snack : /

vanimal said:
About 5 years ago I had an Oscar and I got a Black Ghost Knife and he ate it. It was like a $16 snack : /

Nice. i had gotten the tetras on sale at petsmart for a dollar a peice, not that bad of a loss but it is still more expensive than .13$ feeder fish!

Back
Top Bottom