Diatom Filters for $40

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

noteworthy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well I got my package in from Big Al's Online. Everything went smooth and recieved it in 4 work days. I hooked up the Hot Magnum and ran it for a day noticing not a real big improvement in the clarity of my water. So I went to a local pool shop and bought 25lbs of DE powder for $20. I used a bucket to create a closed circuit so the powder wouldn't fly all through the aquarium. Hooked on the micron cartridge and used a cup of the powder in the hot magnum. Took a few minutes for the bucket to become clear then I let the magnum start filtering the aquarium water.

The results are amazing! Plus it's about $40-50 cheaper than a diatom filter.

Is there any special way I should remove the hot magnum? use the bucket method backwards? Will DE go back into the tank if I turn off the unit while letting it hang on the tank? 8O

I know you can clean the micron catridges 1 part bleach.. 3 parts water. soak overnight.

Just thought I'd share this experience with you guys :)

---

I also checked on the parts needed to convert an aquatech 30-60 to a biowheel.. $40 from marineland. I ordered a penguin 330 for $23 and just slid in the parts into my aquatech. plus I have a spare filter if one breaks! 8)

Awesome idea noteworthy! Not something that would have ever occurred to me. Not sure how to unhook it tho LOL

Oh, and my diatom filter was $65.

Thanks for the comment but I can't take credit for the idea. I've been reading around on the internet and on AA. Seemed like a neat idea and it does actually work.

:D

I did it too

I had a really bad green water algea problem and got a Magnum 350 to clear it up. The micron in and of itself didn't really work but I got a 25lb box of DE Powder at HomeDepot for $10 and it cleared up my water problem in 20 minutes. It was amazing and really well worth the money. Got the 350 from BigAls too.

I highly recommend it although I find I have the clean the Micro every 5 days or so.

Good luck with yours I know I am really happy with mine.

Back
Top Bottom