Diatomaceous Earth as substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snuffleupagus

Aquarium Advice Regular
I went to Lowe's to look for some pool filter sand for a substrate, and found, in the pool section, 25 lbs of "diatomaceous earth", which I assumed had to be the same thing. Naturally I researched it on the internet when I got home, just to make sure, and only found reference to it as used in filters to trap very fine particles. It's cool that it's made of ancient ground-up invertebrates and all, but I'm looking for a substrate. I just wanted to confirm that this would be Bad for that purpose before taking it back. It was about twice as expensive as people generally quote for pfs, anyway ($10 for the 25 lbs). It especially sounds like it would wreak havoc on my shrimp. .

You definately do not want to use this stuff as a substrate. The Diatomaceous earth is an extremely fine powder..like flour. It is also hazardous to breath the dust in.

Zezmo said:
You definately do not want to use this stuff as a substrate. The Diatomaceous earth is an extremely fine powder..like flour. It is also hazardous to breath the dust in.

Ah. I suspected something of that nature was the case. I got fooled because it was the only sand-like substance in the pool section, and it says it's a "filter aid" for swimming pool filters, so it didn't seem especially outrageous to assume that this was the famous pool filter sand everyone seems so fond of. Thanks for the final clarification.

The stuff is also used to kill ants. It has fine edges on it, and it cuts insects to ribbons. I wouldn't really put that in with fish.

I agree with everyone else here. Definitley not good to use. Diatomaceous earth is full of diatoms and silica as well as a lot of other stuff, and has a lot of industrial uses. I imagine it would be bad for water chemistry, as well as dangerous (referring to the sharp nature of the particles) for the fish.

Gryph said:
The stuff is also used to kill ants. It has fine edges on it, and it cuts insects to ribbons. I wouldn't really put that in with fish.

And especially not with shrimp!

DevilishTurtles said:
Diatomaceous earth is full of diatoms and silica as well as a lot of other stuff, and has a lot of industrial uses. I imagine it would be bad for water chemistry, as well as dangerous (referring to the sharp nature of the particles) for the fish.

This stuff sounds like bad business, all right. It's going back today, and I'll look around further for pool filter sand. Thanks for all the info.

It is what is used in a diatom filter for polishing water. It is in fact, the fossil remains of diatoms. It coats the element and its fine particle size traps the very fine stuff floating in the tank. It does make an effective, non toxic insecticide. It does not cut the insects to ribbons, but clogs their breathing pores so they suffocate. Definitely not a substrate material, and definitely not something that you want to breath in.

Sounds pretty evil all right. It's impressive how finely it sounds like it's able to filter. Thankfully Lowe's was kind enough to take it back, and then when I went to the pool supply store the guy gave me most of a bag full of pool filter sand free because they'd had to open it earlier to use for cleaning up a mess or something. All in all a good deal.

From the looks of things at the places I've been at, the diatomaceous earth is much more popular than plain ole' pool filter sand. Is it sort of the next generation way of doing things?

No, DE powder is not the next gen. of filters for pools. DE filters and canister filters have been out for over 10 years in the pool industry. I know this because I work for a pool supply wholesaler. DE filters are not as easy to use as regular sand filters, and are quite a bit more expensive, also they require the media to be changed more often than a sand filter. They are used because they do filter particles that are finer than sand, but over all, most of the service personel hate them. Just thought I would put my two cents in.

Back
Top Bottom